burning a CD

Slower speed will not skip in cd players where as fast speed will skip or just plain not work at all in cd players.

That's some immeasurably bad information.

Most studies (my own included, which were pretty substantial) find a "sweet spot" of sorts at around 25-33% of a drive's rated speed. Which for the most part, is how it's always been from the advent of CD burners (1x was popular on 4x drives -- 25% of the rated speed). The results were pretty solid along over about dozen drives (from $50 POS drives to $400 "nice" drives) over a wide range of media (Chinese discs suck, Japanese discs rock, Taiyo Yuden being the king of the hill for QC and consistency, as one would imagine).

12-16x on a 52x drive is perfectly fine. SLOWER speeds tend to get significantly HIGHER block error rates (as do freakishly high speeds).

If high-speed discs skip, there's a problem with the burner.

Thanks for the info guys.
I was wondering because I always use the fastest speed and sometimes after a few days of use a CD will start skipping. Sometimes they won't. Sometimes a song will skip and then when I play it again it won't.
I was just wondering if using a slower speed would create a more error free stable CD. I'm singing to back up tracks in church now. I haven't had a skip during a performance...yet... and would rather not in the future.

I don't want to be "MilliVanillistone" ya know!:laughings:

That's some immeasurably bad information.

Most studies (my own included, which were pretty substantial) find a "sweet spot" of sorts at around 25-33% of a drive's rated speed. Which for the most part, is how it's always been from the advent of CD burners (1x was popular on 4x drives -- 25% of the rated speed). The results were pretty solid along over about dozen drives (from $50 POS drives to $400 "nice" drives) over a wide range of media (Chinese discs suck, Japanese discs rock, Taiyo Yuden being the king of the hill for QC and consistency, as one would imagine).

12-16x on a 52x drive is perfectly fine. SLOWER speeds tend to get significantly HIGHER block error rates (as do freakishly high speeds).

If high-speed discs skip, there's a problem with the burner.

This is what I've found to be true!I can see what moresound was tring to say but did not go into detail as you did.jimistone said that he had found the same problem after burning at fast speeds.you just have to find the speed that fits your drive.

This is what I've found to be true!I can see what moresound was tring to say but did not go into detail as you did.jimistone said that he had found the same problem after burning at fast speeds.you just have to find the speed that fits your drive.

Ya true I was getting ready to go out and I was in a hurry so I didn't elaborate. I just went with a fast/quick answer with the truth lurking in the wings causing bad or half truth information. Sorry everybody it wont happen again. I know what I meant but was in a hurry.

Back in the early days, older drives could only play discs burned at a speed closer to their specifications. Back when 4x was considered a high speed drive. So you pretty much got used to burning discs at the slowest possible speed, for compatibility sake. Those drives are still out there. They're just not as common now. And if you try to run your drives that slow these days, they wont do a good burn at all. I tend to just let my drive run at a default speed. Fewer coasters. There probably is a sweet spot. And it's probably not the fastest speed. And probably not the slowest either.

They still make very nice winter holiday season tree ornaments.

Especially after you throw them in the microwave for a couple seconds.

They're also great for scaring away rabbits from the vegetable garden

Also worth considering:
The speed at which the CD is rated vs the speed at which the drive is rated. ie trying to burn at 52x on a CD that is rated at a lower speed could cause problems
Also the burner drive itself.

Plextor make some very nice drives for the general average Joe market. They are a little more expesive than regular CD burners that go into a desktop computer but they are the only mass market ones I am aware of with excellent built in error checking and correction abilities

Back in the early days, older drives could only play discs burned at a speed closer to their specifications. Back when 4x was considered a high speed drive. So you pretty much got used to burning discs at the slowest possible speed, for compatibility sake. Those drives are still out there. They're just not as common now. And if you try to run your drives that slow these days, they wont do a good burn at all. I tend to just let my drive run at a default speed. Fewer coasters. There probably is a sweet spot. And it's probably not the fastest speed. And probably not the slowest either.

Never heard this issue, I n som, k will be th something like that
was pr ly enou h o

:p

Probably a somewhat irrelevant question, but is there any reason why I should use anything but the built-in CD burner on my macbook for burning client masters?

Back