Built in pre amps?

Hobbiest

I heard that you don't need pre amps in a mixer if you use dynamic mics, is this true? I know fantom power was is used for condenser mics, but I thought you need pre amps for all mics. I'm using a Shure Prologe 14L mic. Also does it make a differance using a Hi-Z mic or a Low-Z mic besides the XLR and 1/4" inputs? is there one better than the other?

Okay, lets go for some clarification here. Yes, indeed, all mics need preamps. Teh question, I believe, is whether or not your mixer needs seperate mic preamps. I would imagine that unless you have a line mixer your mixer has mic preamps. Now, it may have either balanced XLR pres(3 pin plugs), balanced TRS 1/4" pres or unbalanced TS 1/4" pres. The real question is are they quality pres or not. Now, if all you have is 1/4" pres you will need a cable that goes from normal mic XLR to 1/4" plug. If you have unbalanced inputs this will be easy to find at any music store. If you have balanced 1/4" TRS jacks then you need to get a cable that goes from XLR to TRS 1/4". Not impossible to find, but you may have to special order it from your favorite music store or have them make you one. Now if you are using a small or large condensor mic that does not have it's own power source you will need to have a preamp that supplies phantom power. Many of today's mixing boards will have this feature, but not all. So search your mixer and/or manual for phantom power.

1. What, it doesn't have it? Now you need to buy a separate power amp that has phantom power or a separate phantom power source (and yes, these do exist).

or

2. What, it does have it? Well there you go, get to recording. :D

I hope that clarifies the situation for you. If not clarify your question a bit more. Like what kind of mixer you have, what type of mic is the 14L Prologue.

Peace, Jim

I'm afraid you do need a preamp with dynamic mikes it is the condensor mikes that you might not need one cos a U87 on a tom will probably put out near to 0db!! But for dynamic mikes you will need a preamp cos the output voltage is really low.

All mics need a pre amp. Condenser mics need power (read 48 V phantom power). Some mics are hotter than others but they all need 'em.

Jim I'm thinking of buying the Behringer MX 1604A. That's why I'm asking about pre's. If the mixer has balanced XLR Mic inputs, does that mean it has preamps in it? Also the Shure Prologe 14L mic is a cheaper version of the sm58, it looks identicel. Also thanks for all the responces to my question.

The Beringer should take care of your pre needs.
The low end 58 is an sm48. Do not cut corners here. If you only buy 1 mic, the sm58 or the AKG c1000s will serve your needs. the prologue and the sm48, and the cheap looks like a 58 mics stop right there. The sm58 is the standard, stick with it, you can talk Guitar Centers down to $75. AKG for $175

Yeah, the Behringer has a decent enough reputation. And the XLRs are the the connectoers for the built in preamps which get nice enough reviews on this site. You won't be going wrong with it. As for the mic, let it do its job as you begin your recording journey until you become dissatisfied. If you already are, then I would tend to agree that a better mic will help you. Also, and many would agree, make sure you get nice cables for all of your connections. You will probably hate parting with the money, but I have a whole box full of $5-10 cables getting dusty and I still have a bunch that need replacing because they are cheapies. Now they don't need to be the most expensive, but paying $1-5 per foot is not unreasonable. Good luck with your recording. Now get your board and start working on music.

Peace, Jim

Thanks again for all your responces. I just ordered the Behringer 1604A, The mic will be down the road a little. As for cables, I with some guys that are Sound techs for stage production and they might hook me up with some nice cables.

Thanks again
Marc

Back