Building a "Behringer homestudio"

Buying gear based on any review is tough. All reviews are subjective, and typically reviewed by a recent owner/purchaser who wants to justify their purchase. Damn near every piece of gear I've considered purchasing I'll look for by searching this site, as well as a couple other recording sites, to see what the concensus is. Then I'll go to MF, AMS, ZZounds, etc. and check ALL their user feedbacks. It's astounding how many times somethings had bad reviews (in quantity) in one place, yet get's an overwhelming good review here. Or vice versa. I year or so ago I was looking to pick up a decent low end preamp. After reading reviews I picked up an ART TPS. Basically got decent reviews. A few months later all I read on the unit was how bad it was. You'll often read one persons comments about how great a product is or has been for them, only to read anothers with how lousy it is and not worth purchasing. It's all quite confusing. Everyone has opinions.

Currently I have two pieces of Berry gear, the Bass V-Amp Pro and the 8 channel headphone amp/distributor thinggy. Quite frankly I haven't had the time (of finished the studio space) enough to try them out fully. However unless it breaks (always a consideration) the headphone amp should suffice my needs just fine. And the Bass V-Amp Pro has pretty much gotten decent reviews. And for the cash it was, offers a nice low-Z out and is rack mountable. I wanted a rack mountable unit for my set-up and it was that or the $700 Pod. I saved the $470.

Am I 'down' about my purchases? Do I wish I bought something else? Nope. As mentioned, they'll suit my needs fine. And if/when they break I'm not out a lot of cash and don't even have to be bothered trying to get them fixed or having to deal with the manufacturer. Berry stuff is what it is... inexpensive, hit or miss 'quality' gear for the HOME recorder. A friend of mine loves the stuff, has no problems buying it, and swears by it... 'for the money'. I'm a little more realistic. But I think I'd rather have Berry gear then some of the other low end stuff out there. That's just me though..

I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet but what you really NEED is a good pair of monitors. That will make the most improvement in your sound at this point. If you are running everthing direct and using electronic drums, why the hell would you need all the other crap? You don't. But you do, however, need to be able to hear what you have recorded to be able to mix it well.

Ok, thanx alot for helping. Please do advise me concerning the monitors and a good pre for low-cost or "near-behringer-cost". I've always heard that the new pair os active monitors from Behringer are quite decent. But, c'mon, give the alternatives.

Here is my 2 cents having used most of this stuff.

Tube Composer... No... Sounds transistory, better bet is the MIC-2200 ultrgain Pro

truth Monitors, not the best but VERY useable.

Headphone amp. I have had the 4600/4700 and now I am using the HA8000 cuz it has 8 headphone outs. Works fine for me....

Ultrafex.... Get a plugin....
Virualizer... Get a used alesis Quadraverb 2 or Midiverb 4 Same cost better unit

Just my 2 cents. check out my patden website and listen to recent samples. Thes projects (the last 3 sampels0 were cut with a CAD E200 and a behringer Mic Pre. I hate the mic, but the pre is cool.

Mr. Ins@ne said:
Ok, thanx alot for helping. Please do advise me concerning the monitors and a good pre for low-cost or "near-behringer-cost". I've always heard that the new pair os active monitors from Behringer are quite decent. But, c'mon, give the alternatives.

The idea was to save all that money by not buying all the crappy behri gear that you won't need anyway and get yourself a nice pair of monitors (not behringer monitors) that you will have for awhile. Maybe look into the Mackie HR624's. There's alot to choose from though.

As far as a preamp. There's the Joemeek threeQ with a pre/eq/comp for $199.

Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer
Behringer B2031A Truth Monitors
Behringer Virtualizer DSP2024P (Fx)
Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 (Eq/ dynamics)
Behringer Tube Composer T1952 (Tube dynamics)
Behringer TUBE ULTRAFEX T1954 (Tube audio enhancement)
Behringer POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700 (headphone amplifier/ mixer)
Behringer B-CONTROL FADER BCF2000 (interface controler)
Behringer Bass V-amp PRO (goes without saying)
Behringer B2-Pro (mic)

There's a lot of other gear you could get for this kind of money that would be better than Behringer. The thing about Behringer is that you have to be selective. Of your list the only units I would take would be the DEQ2496 (which I own), the headphone amp maybe, and possibly the B-Control. Otherwise, I think you can find better choices elsewhere.

I also feel it is wise to mix and match gear from different manufacturers. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think mixing the different tones of different gear sounds better. Everything from one maker seems sort of lazy to me, and I doubt will sound as good unless it's from a high end manufacturer. Even then, I think mixing and matching sounds better.

So instead of a Behringer mic you'd look at Studio Projects mics, or even select Marshall MXL mics. Choose very carefully in this price range.

Instead of the Tube Composer T1952 you'd go with the FMR RNC compressor.

You would *totally avoid* the TUBE ULTRAFEX T1954, what a crock.

You would try to find a good alternative to the Behringer monitors you mention, and go for a Yamaha MG series mixer instead of the Behringer mixer you mention.

My brother has the Behringer Bass V-Amp and seems to like it, although he doesn't rave about it. If you saved enough money by not buying the TUBE ULTRAFEX, maybe you could afford a Line 6 Bass-POD, or the Bass Sans-Amp.

The price of these changes would probably be about the same as getting the Behringer models you mention. And I'm quite sure your setup would sound better.

Last edited:
right on sonicalbert... selective is deffinately the word that comes to mind with behringer. the monitors seem to be pretty competative in the 300-450$ price bracket. no matter what the price though, you'll deffinately want to listen to any monitors before you buy. the ada8000 is a great recording tool, especially for the price. my ub1202 mixer gave me lip when id turn up the headphone/control room level on it... but after dropping it, it fixed itself. my ecm8000 mic purchase was a flop, but all is well and i didnt loose out on any money. dont buy any of their fake tube gear. if anyone wants to hear a prime example of bees in tin foil, i'll send you some of the stuff my band did at a studio with a tube ultragain. some of the guys who've responded on here are giving you damn good ideas for alternative products. if you want more, just ask or use the search function.

SOME of the gear behringer produces is good to get you started before you outgrow it and move up, but stick with the stuff that is getting consistantly good reviews from credible sources (take magazine reviews with a grain of salt). behringer did help push companies to make cheaper products, but most have found ways to do it without cutting many corners. research research. most importantly, never, ever... ever ever ever buy anything behringer without securing a good return policy. i question if they just phased out a quality control division.

Ok, I almost made up my mind on avoid buying the behringer stuff and I found these two interesting items:

M-audio Bx8 monitors
M-audio Octane Pre

Can you give your opinions on it?

Mr. Ins@ne said:
Ok, I almost made up my mind on avoid buying the behringer stuff and I found these two interesting items:

M-audio Bx8 monitors
M-audio Octane Pre

Can you give your opinions on it?

I thought you recorded almost everthing direct and used electronic drums. Why would you need an 8 channel mic pre?

Yes, right now I do use V-drums and record everything direct, but shouldn't an 8 channel pre-amp unit be of use when you want to send 8 separate tracks from the v-drum module direct outs into the pc? And by buying this 8 chan pre-amp, shouldn't I get more versatility for further use in the future?

Mr. Ins@ne said:
Yes, right now I do use V-drums and record everything direct, but shouldn't an 8 channel pre-amp unit be of use when you want to send 8 separate tracks from the v-drum module direct outs into the pc? And by buying this 8 chan pre-amp, shouldn't I get more versatility for further use in the future?

Ahhh, no. The outputs of the drum module are more than likely line level outs which go right into your Delta 1010 inputs. No need for preamps.

Mr. Ins@ne said:
PIV 3.0GHZ with Cubase SX 2.0
M-audio Delta 1010 soundcard/ audio interface
Behringer V-amp Pro
Spirit Absolute Zero monitors (waiting for upgrade)
Behringer UB1204FX Pro mixer (waiting for upgrade)

I will have:

Behringer B2-Pro (mic)

Thnx a lot

I too started off buying a lot of behringer stuff thinking it was most bang for buck. Here's my experiences

I have UB2222FX mixer: Decent pre's, I A-B'd them against the Focusrites in my M-Box and didn't find one overwhelmingly better than the other. Covers all my signal routing needs. Channel one died on me completely, the onboard effects are unusable except as a white noise generator.

Truth Active Monitors: Still ticking, very quiet amps noisewise, they look fairly accurate/flat from the test plots, but the mids seem a little grating, which is tiring to listen to for prolonged periods.

AutoCom Pro: No complaints, probably my favorite piece of Behri gear. Good sounds, performs as advertised, no complaints so far.

Feedback Destroyer: Second favorite piece of Behri gear, my band couldn't of practiced in a glorified closet for 6 months with PA vocals without it.

2 Small Mixers (forget model): Noisy pre's, one of them had a touchy phantom power switch that would go out occasionally. Did the job for the most part.

All in all, I think I got my money's worth. I probably could of done a little better if I knew more back then, but it was generally good equipment to learn and hone my skills on. Still use most of it even though I've upgraded much of it.

I guess to address your proposed choices:

--Do you really need it? I use my UB2222FX for signal routing stuff that I could easily do with just the UB1204FX you already have.

--They're okay, but I'd try them against comparably priced monitors before buying.

--Judging by the effects on the mixers, I would think your Cubase plugins will sound much better.

--Again, probably covered by Cubase plugins. You probably want a parametric EQ instead of a graphical one anyway.

--H/W compressors are useful, but "tube" anything for this low of a price is just distorting your signal and calling it "warmth" Go with the FMR RNC or the AutoCom Pro

--See above, I'd save up for a nice real tube pre and stick to getting the cleanest signal for now.

--No direct experience but I've heard good things. HP amps are one of those things that are almost idiot proof to make, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

--Try CM Labs MotorMix, it ain't pretty but it does the job. They can be had off ebay for like 500.

--Don't know about this piece, I usually just DI my bass, eq and compress in Pro Tools and I'm done.

Behringer B2-Pro (mic)

--There are so many good mics at ridiculous low prices.. try a Oktava MK319 or MXL V69. Both work pretty good for me. People seem to like the Studio Projects stuff here, might be worth looking into.

Hope this helps

If you like the V-Amp Pro, you will love the Bass V-Amp Pro. I have both, and bought the bass version after being blown away by the guitar version. These and my Composer are pieces of Behri gear that were well worth the money for me.

I think you should go for it. Critics be damned. And, take pictures. I would LOVE to see all that silver racked up.

That's BS BTW. A little at a time is the best way. As to a review on equipment, I've got the Truth 2031A's, a MX1604A, a UB802, and a couple of other odds and ends. I've never had a single problem w/ my equipment. Every piece performs it's required duties admirably. I wouldn't go w/ the Berry B1 or B2. I like the SP's and MXL mics better. And yes, i've tried and buyed. Truthfully, I like the Oktava 319 better than the Berrys. However, the Berry SM58 knock offs are absolutely great. I've got about 6 of 'em. They run around $20 per mic. I give 'em as gifts. Great live mic.

My problem with Behringer is that they are ALWAYS ripping other stuff off, and that there is ALWAYS something better, at close to the same price, and sometimes less, made by someone else who give's atleast a crap's crap, where they aren't anywhere near that point.

i dont know if its really fare to say behringer is crap stuff, but i think it is fare to say that there is normally something better for the same price.

Luckily, ive got a dad who buys only behringer and nady stuff. I try and convince him all the time of some of the better stuff out there but he still stays true to them. Hes picked up a few things from them both that have held there value (which is cheap still), but other things i just have to laugh at when they blow up on him on arrivle :D. The behringer 24 track mixer he bought a while ago has lasted pretty good, and every once in the while i go and help him out with running the thing. The routing on those things are plain out horrible. The preamps i havnt felt were actually too bad, but had very low gain. Its also weird that i notice how stuff like that actually feeds back easier in a live setting then the better stuff. They will be fussing with feedback all night and i will bring in a dinky mackie 1604 vlz pro and the problems will be gone.

But for alot of the stuff i havnt felt too bad about the quality of it for the money, but then i realize that he could have gotten something a little better for the same amount of money. Its especially aggravating when he will buy cheep cables and snakes when he knows that i spend hours making Canare/Beldin with Neutrik connectors all the time. :D

Danny

Ed Dixon said:
I have a somewhat different view of Behringer gear. I own and use regularly a number of pieces of Behringer gear, including mixers and outboard units. I have been very happy with their gear.

Behringer gear is usually very low in cost and functional. I know that some folks have had problems with the durability of their mixers for live use (where things are moved around every week). However for a typical home studio, most gear rarely moves very far and very often. I use their mixers live and have had no such problems, but that’s just me.

Most Behringer V-Amp owners seem happy with their units. Many have compared their gear to the Line 6 gear it was based on and many prefer the V-Amp. Others prefer the POD gear. It again boils down to what suits your ears and needs.

There is clearly always better gear available. Pick any brand and model, and someone will find another model that is better. Nothing new here. The real question is that level of gear is needed for your requirements.

Consider the fact that the majority of recorded music produced over the last 100 years used very basic equipment compared to almost any set of even low cost modern gear. For most all recorded material the weak link is not the gear but usually the person on the other end making music.

I recorded my first record some 40 years ago with a high school rock band. We did it at a local church where someone has a stereo tape recorder and some choir mics they could use. It still sounds pretty fair today. I started doing instrumental material some 20 years ago. I used a TASCAM 4-track analog recorder and the condenser mics that came with it. Still sounds pretty fair today.

Most home studios are used to record the home owner’s material. That is usually not commercial in nature, but more convenience based.

Ed

I feel compelled to agree with Ed Dixon.

I am a musician/composer/engineer/producer/coffee fetcher etc. I do everything in my home for my own personal enjoyment. I love being in my home studio producing my own music. My budget is small. Many of my buying decisions are heavily influenced by price and somewhat on the opinions found in these forums. My first Behringer purchase was an Ultragain 2200 mic pre. I am happy with it. I just recently purchased a Eurodeck UB2442FX mixer from Guitar Center and a Bass V-Amp Pro from ebay. My ears are not expertly trained but I am currently satisfied with my purchases. These products do what I expect of them.

Sure I feel compelled to justify my purchases to myself and that may have influenced what I have said above but the songs I am currently producing are pleasing to my ears and that’s the main thing.

I am certain I will upgrade in the future when my budget will allow it but in the mean time I am producing and consequently, happy.

johnny man....i use my behringer equipment and at first i was happy with what i bought and then i felt like i needed to justify every behringer product on this website and then i realized one thing....asking about behringer products in here is like asking a muslim what kind of hot sauce would be good on a pork roast...it aint worth the hassle. if you think you'll like a behringer product, go see if you can try it out at a music store, read product reviews and when you've made your decision and you want a little icing on the cake...ask the people in here. if i want to know whats wrong with a behringer product, I'll ask people in the forum. if i want to know whats good about a product, I'll read reviews from other websites.

Hey not all of us despise Behringer.

I have 6 pieces in my arsenal now (I think it's six) might be 10. LOL

They have served me well and still do. :)

Back