Blown Fuses in ART Preamp

ADATlove

I have this ART TPS dual mic pre but it's been out of commission for a couple of years. When I finally got around to tackling the problem, it becomes apparent that I just needed to change the fuse. So I tried a new one and it blew immediately. I think I took it apart right after it stopped working 2 years ago but I don't thing there was much I could have messed with that would be causing this issue.

Any ideas what's causing the problem?

You are lucky...everyone elses ART stuff is too noisy:laughings:

You have a dead short to ground somewhere...if you have a meter start checking resistance to ground through the circuts...another option could be you are replacing a fuse that had a defect with a lower rated one and your unit is fine.

I replaced fuse with the type indicated on the body, that burned out as well. Should I try a stronger fuse or is that a bad idea?

I replaced fuse with the type indicated on the body, that burned out as well. Should I try a stronger fuse or is that a bad idea?

If a new, correctly rated fuse also blew, your problem is bigger than the fuse. A stronger fuse will only mask that problem (probably for just a short time!) and likely lead to serious damage to the unit. :(

If a new, correctly rated fuse also blew, your problem is bigger than the fuse. A stronger fuse will only mask that problem (probably for just a short time!) and likely lead to serious damage to the unit. :(
That, and a funny smell...

Gotcha. I'll check the ground. Thanks for the tips - regardless of how this unit sounds I would much rather have it in use than in a trash pile!

it's not checking the ground... it's checking for something thats shorted to grnd that shouldn't be...

ie diodes transistors caps chips...

You have to be familiar with it to find out why I can say that...your cheap ass toob shit cant do a tenth of what the toneport stuff does.:rolleyes:

Hey Darrin,

What makes me skeptical about your claim, (and I'm not dissin' you here) is that you seem to be the only one who's discovered this.

Hey Darrin,

What makes me skeptical about your claim, (and I'm not dissin' you here) is that you seem to be the only one who's discovered this.

You havent even tried it and you are busting my balls about it...just give it a try...tonewise its better than anything else.
And I am not the only one here using it...I know of about 5 others too...but Im sharing what they are keeping secret.

You havent even tried it and you are busting my balls about it...just give it a try...tonewise its better than anything else.
And I am not the only one here using it...I know of about 5 others too...but Im sharing what they are keeping secret.

Cool! Can I hear some samples of the Line 6 pres you've recorded? And maybe an A/B comparison with one of those noisy ART MPA Gold's you've got? That would be helpful. Thanks!

Cool! Can I hear some samples of the Line 6 pres you've recorded? And maybe an A/B comparison with one of those noisy ART MPA Gold's you've got? That would be helpful. Thanks!

Ill do that sometime...but in the meantime you should check out one of the 50 or so samples over at Line6.com....there are 6 different models Neve API Avalon...etc...and then there are others settings based on popular songs that they can bring up with a mouse click...it really is something that is a new concept in Mic pres...dont be afraid to try something new...these units are showing up in pro studios everywhere.

Ill do that sometime...but in the meantime you should check out one of the 50 or so samples over at Line6.com....there are 6 different models Neve API Avalon...etc...and then there are others settings based on popular songs that they can bring up with a mouse click...it really is something that is a new concept in Mic pres...dont be afraid to try something new...these units are showing up in pro studios everywhere.

I have no doubt that the Line 6 website extolls the virtues of this item. I would too if I were Line 6. I have and like Line 6 products--and I'll bet I'd like this pre.

See--I've never dissed a line 6 preamp; I wouldn't do that if I don't own one. Do you have an ART pre? An MPA Gold maybe? You're always so quick to dis that whole line.

In asking for a comparison, my point was simple--preamps don't exist in a vacuum--they work with a number of other variables. Give me some quiet gain and I can make a song. And I can change the sound of that song more by putting new strings on my guitar or changing heads on my drum kit than I can by changing which preamp I use.

You're way too quick to dismiss what you don't like--in this case, ART. Yes there are cheap little ART pres that I would rather not use--but there are also a number of good ones. Listen to my stuff and you might just be hearing one!

So stop (to use your words) busting the balls on ART gear you don't know about. You're not helping anyone one by making vague, blanket statements about an entire line you haven't tried.

I have owned ART...and some other toob gear and even when there isnt a mic plugged in there is audible noise...to me that isnt acceptable...you wont even get a hint of that from the Avalon 737 model on the line6.
I havent owned a MPA Gold but there was one at the MARS and it did that too.

Back