Beware of Vista!

Y

YeshuasFan

I had to purchase a new PC this week--my old one was acting up--would accept the reformat discs and then the motherboard died. It's cheaper to buy a new computer than to replace the motherboard and the OS disc. Unfortunately, this happened the week before the release of Vista and all the stores locally (Best Buy, OfficeMax, and OfficeDepot) had to send back all the PCs with WinXP because of OEM licensing agreements with Darth Gates pursuant to the release of Vista. So my only option was to wait for the PCs to be released with Vista. Vista is a pain in the rear--and is not compatible with my stomp box editing software. Ptui! Ptui! Ptui! on Bill Gates! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm not giving up my Win 2000 pro discs until Darth Gates comes with a light saber...The machine I am typing this on runs XP pro..and it SUCKS..my good ol' daw with 2000 pro runs circles around this thing even tho the DAW has a slower processor and dinosauer sd ram...on the exact same apps..I can't for the life of me see vista being much better for a while...My wife has to buy a new pc for a brand new computer controlled router for her business tommorow and the kicker is she needs XP pro or Win 2k pro for it to work...I think I will be wiping a brand new machine tommorow night at her office :)

Cheers,
Ray

ps..NEVER get rid of your operating systems discs!

rsolinski said:
I'm not giving up my Win 2000 pro discs until Darth Gates comes with a light saber...The machine I am typing this on runs XP pro..and it SUCKS..my good ol' daw with 2000 pro runs circles around this thing even tho the DAW has a slower processor and dinosauer sd ram...on the exact same apps..I can't for the life of me see vista being much better for a while...My wife has to buy a new pc for a brand new computer controlled router for her business tommorow and the kicker is she needs XP pro or Win 2k pro for it to work...I think I will be wiping a brand new machine tommorow night at her office :)

Cheers,
Ray

ps..NEVER get rid of your operating systems discs!

Did you try disabling all the eye candy shit in XP? Really, once you get all the "auto this and that" crap turned off, it is even more reliable than 2000. Trust me, I have been using 2000 professionally since RC2. But, once I figured out how to turn all the crap off in XP, I like it.

Ford Van said:
But, once I figured out how to turn all the crap off in XP, I like it.
That in itself is something the consumer shouldn't have to "figure" out. :(

Like this computer I'm using now. Besides being a major pain in the ass to install, XP ran too slow while surfing. Same with 2000, so I just gave up and went back to Mellenium. Works just fine now.

dweeb said:

Like this computer I'm using now. Besides being a major pain in the ass to install, XP ran too slow while surfing. Same with 2000, so I just gave up and went back to Mellenium. Works just fine now.

That's part of the issue though. Most "consumer" level users have no idea what it is they are doing at any given time anyway when it comes to their computer. They wouldn't know the difference between performance levels and it probably wouldn't matter to them anyway, at least for what they do. Making something that works for what the majority of their customers need is all that matters. Personal pride in your work and business needs are not always compatible.

dweeb said:

Ford's right...XPs the best OS that MS has ever released... there's just way to much too it... look around, there are lists out there of services to disable...

Millenium???? The only thing worse than that was BOB... I can't believe anyone could prefer that over XP...

MOFO Pro said:
Ford's right...XPs the best OS that MS has ever released... there's just way to much too it... look around, there are lists out there of services to disable...

Millenium???? The only thing worse than that was BOB... I can't believe anyone could prefer that over XP...
Believe it. But then this shit computer is from Fry's. :D With an ECS shit board. XP just couldn't handle this pile of crap, but good ol' Millenium eats it up. :p

I do find it very ammusing that someone would have a problem with XP so go back to Millenium, the known worst OS Microsoft has ever thought about...

Oh, I am no noob when it comes to PC's..I have XP tweaked and it is very reliable (never crashed!) and this pc was top of the line last year hardware wise, not a bargain bin special, but it is definately slower than 2000 on audio and video apps (Sound Forge 8, Cubase etc...)..I don't need a weatherman to tell me it's raining outside when I can look out the window...What is my wife (and thousands of other businesses) supposed to do today when it is confirmed that a new piece of hardware is not compatible with Vista? This new 100K$ router (actual mechanical saw and engraving device..not a data router) isn't. The manufacturer said he contacted Redmond tons of times and was assured everything would be okay...Of course Darth wouldn't let them test Vista or get drivers written for it. And they wonder why people are kracking their stuff and using pirated versions etc...I will probably have to load my personal 2000 pro on a new machine so they can at least run the router till they sort out the problems..Is she supposed to go bankrupt and lay off 30 employees because of Gates and Co. greedy monopoly? You can banter all you want about which OS system is better and how great MS blah blah is but the reality of it in a small business setting is that MS is a pain in the a$$ ..I won't even tell you the problems they had back in 2001 when XP came out..

Cheers,
Ray

I've only recently reinstalled XP Pro after pissing it off in preference to Win98 a couple of years ago.......unfortunately, my wireless broadband needs XP and although I don't record "in the box", my audio h/drive was happier with 98.........at least until the drive died a couple of weeks ago.

Any information about disabling the unnecessary bits of XP would be appreciated.

:cool:

Don't get me wrong... I have no interest in Vista... not today... not tomorrow... ask me in a couple of years... maybe...

And there're few companies that piss me off like Microsoft does...

xstatic said:
I do find it very ammusing that someone would have a problem with XP so go back to Millenium, the known worst OS Microsoft has ever thought about...
I find it amusing that you find it very amusing.

AHA! I found a dealer (not naming names!) who will sell me an XP Pro loaded machine to run the router..now at least I don't have to spend my evening in the sub zero weather running around trying to get this thing squared away...ANd I had a killer BBQ lunch to boot.."Everyhting is coming up Milhouse"

Ray

Vista a more taxing OS than XP, you need a new computer or a healthy upgrade to run it from what I hear.

That said, if a computer surfs the net too slow with XP and worked better with 2000, its time for a new computer or a major hardware upgrade lol. There is no reason any internal hardware you had when 2000 was out should still be in use...except maybe the harddrive or CD/DVD.

ausrock said:
I've only recently reinstalled XP Pro after pissing it off in preference to Win98 a couple of years ago.......unfortunately, my wireless broadband needs XP and although I don't record "in the box", my audio h/drive was happier with 98.........at least until the drive died a couple of weeks ago.

Any information about disabling the unnecessary bits of XP would be appreciated.

:cool:

http://musicxp.net/ should help you somewhat.

Back