Best way to split 8 tracks to two separate machines?

GovernmentRecor

Hello everybody! I've spent the last couple days scouring the webs to find the best way to split my 8 tracks (out of tascam syncasette) to two separate 8 ins (8 channel interface and also my mixer returns) simultaneously. Hoping someone has a similar setup they're happy with. Patch bay? Bunch o' Y cables? Maybe there's a box for this?
I'm planning to mixdown from the syncasette, which is an 8 track cassette recorder, to a two track reel to reel machine. But I'd like to track the session via interface/computer simultaneously as a backup and a way to keep all the takes and stops/starts/chatter per request of the band.

My signal flow:

8 mics > mixer > direct outs > syncasette > 8 channel compressor > mixer tape ins (for eq/verb) > 2 track reel to reel > send physical reels to analog mastering studio > fin

Where should I split off to computron?
I'm avoiding going back and forth from analog to digital to analog. So splitting is the game here.

Thanks so much for any help/advice!

Godspeed,
-Government Records

If I understand your signal flow/setup.. I'd think line level Y'splits at the mixer's direct outs.
'TRSxM x dual TRSxFM being cheaper than XLR's at the mics, and line level slightly better split (easier.. phantom power?) than mic.

If I understand your signal flow/setup.. I'd think line level Y'splits at the mixer's direct outs.
'TRSxM x dual TRSxFM being cheaper than XLR's at the mics, and line level slightly better split (easier.. phantom power?) than mic.

That probably would be best. Unfortunately the direct outs on my mixer are rca : /
The ins/outs of the syncasette are also rca
Tho I use rca to 1/4" snakes for the compressor

Anyone know of a box with 8 ins and two outs per in? Preferably 1/4"
I'd totally settle for a box with a different application that had this feature.

Its my first foray into analog recording and I'm honestly loving these situations. It's like the puzzles I like in the digital realm but in the real world.

Direct outs to a half-normalled patch bay. Then send the normalled to one device and hand patch from the bay to the other.

RCA male x dual RCA fm, RCA m patch cables ( apparently that was goin to happen for the syncasette..), then another set RCA x? to the interface ..1/4" or..? You didn't say.
Another thing is robustness/long term and the future. Some of the lower end patches like these ('molded thin wire ect) can be less reliable.

Back