Best place to buy a lunchbox

HeyHeyMyMy

Red Member
Where would one go to find the cheapest prices on API (or other brand) 500 series lunchboxes? I suppose used on eBay would be the cheapest, but they seem to be relatively scarce there.

Thanks!

there's some ebay seller who generally has them pretty cheap-- check in "ebay stores"
the number of slots you needs really makes a big difference in price too.

Thanks guys. In terms of necessity, I only need two slots. In terms of practicality, I might as well get the 6-slot unit since it is usually cheaper.

I beleive that A Designs makes an affordable 1 rack space 2 slot chassis now:)

Yeah, it's much less expensive than the older 2 slot API rack. Makes a couple P1 cards and a rack about the same price as a Pacifica. Ultimately though, you ought to look for at least a 6 slot lunchbox (unless you can get a really good deal on a 4 slot box) as it will pay off down the line when you, inevitably, want more 500 format cards. The more slots sharing the power supply, the more cost effective the format becomes. You do also need to take into account the power needs of the cards you want to use. The older lunchboxes don't have as strong a power supply as the current models and some of the newer 500 format cards draw a lot of power (I think the Buzz audio pre is one of them) so, depending on what you think you'll be using, you may want to take power needs into account. I think all the newer lunchboxes have beefed up power supplies to accommodate the newer cards.

Yeah, it's much less expensive than the older 2 slot API rack. Makes a couple P1 cards and a rack about the same price as a Pacifica. Ultimately though, you ought to look for at least a 6 slot lunchbox (unless you can get a really good deal on a 4 slot box) as it will pay off down the line when you, inevitably, want more 500 format cards. The more slots sharing the power supply, the more cost effective the format becomes. You do also need to take into account the power needs of the cards you want to use. The older lunchboxes don't have as strong a power supply as the current models and some of the newer 500 format cards draw a lot of power (I think the Buzz audio pre is one of them) so, depending on what you think you'll be using, you may want to take power needs into account. I think all the newer lunchboxes have beefed up power supplies to accommodate the newer cards.

Thanks, Pohaku. Your comments make a lot of sense. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a used 6-slot unit.

I beleive that A Designs makes an affordable 1 rack space 2 slot chassis now:)

Street for around $299, correct?

I have one of those-- a 500HR. I also have 3 space lunchbox w/ power supply that someone had custom made for them (and which I got used). I wanted something rackmountable yes, but it's also kind of cost control :) A 2 space rackmount may not represent the "best value," but it will save you money. Pretty much anyone I know with a lunchbox and a couple of 500 series modules, feels a insatiable need to fill the empty spaces. I keep that three space lunch box stored away because I know if I look at it every day, I'll feel like I need to fill it. Every time I see a good deal on a 500 series pre I have to talk myself out of buying it. The new Avedis Neve inspired 500 series pre may force me to break my self-imposed ban on gettin more 500 series pres (after all, I do have that empty three space rack :rolleyes: :D)

Yeah, that's something I'm worried about as well. The temptation of having the empty spaces. Want to sell me your three space rack? :)

Yeah, that's something I'm worried about as well. The temptation of having the empty spaces. Want to sell me your three space rack? :)

er... maybe-- pm me if you really want to discuss it. I'm getting married next month, so I need to start saving for more practical things :) :rolleyes:

I'm at AES right now.

Get the 6 or 10 space.

Purple Audio released another 500 series pre/di as well as a par eq and a comp. Neve will have some soon, Daking has stuff too. Plus you'll need two spaces for the Great River pre. ;) One power supply cuts costs in the long run. Mercenary is a cool place to look at some of the stuff for the api lunchbox except for the Daking.

Can you recommend a better one in the same price range?

Look, I'm getting sick and tired of these questions.

"Better" is a completely subjective term. It all completely depends on: 1) How heavy your lunch is 2) How much insulation is needed; i.e. whether you have perishable items, and how cold they can get ... 3) whether separate compartments are necessary; i.e. are you packing things that are easily "smooshed" (twinkies, hohos, ding-dongs, zingers, etc.) ?

Then there are other factors such as ... accessibility; Is your lunch going to be in a position where theft is a danger (either from hungry kids or school bullies) ? ? Do you have pets? If either of these holds true, then you may need to balance your need for accessability with the need to protect said food under lock and key if necessary.

And when it comes to branding ... who is to say that Holly Hobby is any better than Malibu Barbie? Just because it has the fancy "Holly Hobby" name on it, doesn't mean that, at the end of the day, the Malibu Barbie or the Transformers isn't going to provide the same level of durability, insulation and/or lunch protection.

Back