Best Fire Wire Interface for around 300

gdavi1

I'm looking for a lot of inputs with this around 8 would be great and around 300 dollars is my price range. Any tips on any?

I've seen some refurbished Alesis IO26's for around $300 on ebay from companies that offer full manufacturer warranties. The only negative is that they don't come with cubase le. You could also get the io14 new for $199. the io14 gives you 4 pres out of the box and save up for an ada8000 that will give you another 8 pres, for a total of 12.
juan

Depends on what platform you are running on, due to the software that comes bundled with some interfaces.

If you are using a PC, you can get an interface with no bundled software and still use something like Reaper, which is pretty much all you need to get started.

On the Mac, however, Audacity is your best bet, and doesn't have capabilities like realtime plugin processing. The Presonus Firepod is 400, but comes with Cubase LE and a number of addons. Just more to think of.

well i'm running a mac but i have live and logic so software isn't a problem. I was looking into the presonus. Anyone use it?

Yep..

I use it, like it, and have one for sale in the classifieds here (I'm keeping one and selling one as I don't need two).

Lucky you with the Mac as well - the Firepod's Firewire drivers are native to the Mac and users seem to be even more satisfied with the Firepod on that machine vice a PC.

Jay

I have the Firepod and got it for under $400 but now that they changed it to the FP10 they went up to $500. I run it on Windows and it works great.

Just had a Presonus Firestudio Project and it gave me hell. I'm on Macbook Pro with Leopard though. Driver support is awful for it. You might be okay with the Firepod.... even more so if you're on Windows.

Maybe check out a used Motu Ultralite. I just replaced my Presonus with a Motu 828mkII and it's been super great to me.

I have the Firepod and got it for under $400 but now that they changed it to the FP10 they went up to $500. I run it on Windows and it works great.

Well I'll be damned... the FP10 is exactly the same as the Firepod, and is a hundred bucks more. I could've sworn I looked into this not long ago, and they were still selling the "Firepod" for 399. Well, that sucks.

...for anyone NOW looking to buy one :D

Back