• ART pro channel

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • DBX 376

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Focurite penta

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters

frist44

I know there's several threads similar to this, and i apologize if this is annoying. I think i've narrowed it down to a few units. So please respond and give me your opinion of them, or even alternatives.

I'm going to be recording mostly acoustic guitar and vocals through a mxl v67. My choices have come down to:

Mindprint envoice
Joe meek VC1Q
Art Pro channel
DBX 376
Focusrite penta

I like Joe Meek gear, but the Mindprint Envoice is a very nice unit also....the Art is also a solid unit...Im not a fan at all of DBX gear...and Ive never as much as looked at a Focusrite Penta so I cant comment there.....If it was me it would be a toss up between the Joe Meek and the Mindprint...

However, the are 2 eagerly anticipated preamps coming out soon you may want to wait on....

I chose the Meek VC1Q because that's what I wanted--Meek sound. I'd also be very happy with the Mindprint or the Pro MPA, though. The Presonus VXP is also supposed to be nice. I wouldn't buy a Focusrite unless it was at least the Green Series.

Actually I've never seen one new advertised for less than $549. Most places they are $599. I had to haggle with the GC manager for about 45 minutes to get him down to $499.

Its aaight.

I heard a TLM 103 going into the TL audio and it sounded quite good but not outstanding.

My recommendation would be a focusrite penta at $is it $299 or $399? It 2u and has compresssion. It sounds pretty good I must say. To my ears, it sounds better than the new TLaudio or the DBX 376(which sounds like)()*&^*&

Presonus VXP

Am I the only one who uses the Presonus VXP? If I recall that was *around* $400 (I think it was $500). It seemed to get decent reviews and it certainly sounds good...

I must admit though, I have not ever tried the Envoice, although it *was* the "backup choice"... just never got around to trying one.

Velvet Elvis

DBX 5x6 Silver Series

I have been considering these various models, as I have seen them on ebay at rather attractive prices. . I know many of you arent fans of the lower end 386, what about the 5X6 models (specifically the 576)?

DBX 386

I own several high end preamps including the Avalon 737 and Aphex 1100. I also have the Joe Meek VCQ1 and the DBX 386.
I know people slam the 386, but it holds pretty good against the high end stuff. There is a "drive" knob rather than a gain kob on the front. I think alot of people make the mistake of turning this too high. If you turn it too high it quickly starts sounding too overdriven and very brittle. Set properly, this preamp sounds excellent. I have done blind listening tests with 4 other people. The source material was acoustic guitar, voice and cello. In all cases, everybody picked different preamps as winners for different source material, meaning in certain cases the DBX 386 was picked over the other two.
My point being, the 386 is a very good open sounding preamp that is a real bargain.
The Joe Meek also sounds good, but has a very strong character and sounds totally different than the others (386,Avalon, and Aphex).

Danny Lux do you think you could put some MP3's up comparing the 386 to a couple of other preamps. I had been thinking of buying a 386 (i already have an envioce), mainly because its dual preamp with S/PDIF output and ive got a delta 66. But after hearing peoples comments on the 386 i am starting to get put off

wow...

:confused:

Should I assume from the lack of VXP responses (and the fact that it isn't listed in the poll) that everyone thinks they stink?

Or is it me... do I stink? I think I remembered to shower this morning... hmmmm

Velvet Elvis

awww... come on baby...

I didn't pass away... wuh-huh...

I was just in the back room... havin' myself a hunka-hunka burning fluffer-nutter sandwich.

Wuh-huh.

Velvet Elvis

>put some MP3's up comparing the 386 to a couple of other preamps.

No A/Bs but all of my stuff goes through the 386. I'm a fan of this pre. My stuff is at my website and at nowhereradio. The two at nowhereradio were done with the gain knob turned (OMG :) )
past midnight!! I monitor with the analog outs and record with the digital out.

no way the vxp is a nice unit really people are more posting what it is they have either used or prefer its all a personal thing really as time goes on you will find out you have to actually go into a store and try out the stuff as no amount of posts can do that for you only your ears can tell you whats good and whats not as you may buy something someone tells you then you go home and find out hey its not what i like

eg a joe meek unit may be a nice unit but if it aint the sound you seek your money is wasted

my humble opionion is the mp20 is a nice starting point mic pre its not so expensive and its also a dual unit the company presonus seems to be offering quality at a resonable price what more can anyone want??

another unit is the digimax 8 it looks a good unit for what it is

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2000/DigiMax.html

Yeah.. I've been really happy with the VXP. From what I understand it is a single channel version using the same preamp as the MP20... then adding in compression, de-essing, eq etc.

Great buy for the price. Very clean.

Velvet Elvis

Back