Best Channel Strip???

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
In your opinion, what would be the best channel strip out of the following for the front end in a modest home studio? And why?

UA LA610
UA 6176
Neve Portico II
Millennia STT-1
Summit MPC-100A
Avalon VT-737SP

Thanks,

Last edited:
In your opinion, what would be the best channel strip out of the following for the front end in a modest home studio? And why?

UA LA610
UA 6176
Neve Portico II
Millennia STT-1
Summit MPC-100A
Avalon VT-737SP

Thanks,

You have to try them out. I have everything from Focusrite Platinum Pro to Avalon, UA 610 AND the portico. For MY vocals on the album I am doing right now. the Focusrite Platinum Pro is the only one that sounds spectacular. I use a TLM 103 to the Focusrite through an Ashly PEQ26 through a Urei 7110 compressor. My other 15 mic and mic pres are useless for my voice. There is no easy answer. If there was, I would only have 1 mic pre-amp.

Unfortunately I can only afford one. I'm pretty much decided on the LA610 for its lineage.

I wonder how this thing sounds?
I saw one on Craigslist and been having GAS for it ever since...
Its close to the LA610 price , a bit more new.

Attachments

• Focusrite Producer 430.jpg
    Focusrite Producer 430.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 748
I've decided on the LA-610 Signature Edition with the NOS tubes and Cinemag transformers. I have a deposit on the only new one I could find in North America, just waiting on my tax refund to come in to pay the balance...can't wait!

I've decided on the LA-610 Signature Edition with the NOS tubes and Cinemag transformers. I have a deposit on the only new one I could find in North America, just waiting on my tax refund to come in to pay the balance...can't wait!

thats sweeeeeeeeeeet...

Attachments

• UA LA-610 Signature Edition.jpg
    UA LA-610 Signature Edition.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 755
The LA610 is next on my list. What a sweet piece. But everyone is correct when they say you need more than ione!

I hope I'm not missing anything. I'll only be recording my vox and guitars thru it. Why would I need more than one?

I wonder how this thing sounds?
I saw one on Craigslist and been having GAS for it ever since...
Its close to the LA610 price , a bit more new.

The Focusrite Producer is a serious piece of kit. It takes a long time to learn the ins and outs of it but when you do, you can dial up anything you want out of any source. Its really good.

thats sweeeeeeeeeeet...
Attached Images

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-HG
Reply Reply With Quote
15 Hours Ago #10 Paulie Storm

The LA610 is next on my list. What a sweet piece. But everyone is correct when they say you need more than ione!
Reply Reply With Quote

I googled large tranny, it wasn't pleasant.

I would have taken teh focusrite producer pack over the UA for every day use and versatility - AMAZING product, my favorite of the focusrites and imho superior to avalon and several other strips.

and yes I agree that the cheapo platinum, specifically the voice channel or voice whatever it's called, are far far better than anyone on some other audio forums would tell you. specifically the "pro" versions (2nd generation... non-pro were 1st gen and not as good sounding by a country mile).

Back