Behringer Ultra Voice Pro VX2000...any good?

BrettMckinney

I just read a review on this in a mag but i was wondering if anyones heard anything about it? I'm using my mixer for my pre's and its only a cheap one. WOuld my vocals benefit much from using a seperate unit like this?

I've had a VX2000 for about 8 months. For the price it is a decent unit. It is a clone of the Voicemaster (which I also have) and it compares very well (it is slightly "brighter" than the Voicemaster) - but this is apparent only in the most critical of listening.

Will it make your vocals better? It depends on many things. Different mic pres (or in this case "channel strips") work better with different mics. For that matter they work better on different voices.

A good pre will bring out the best in a good mic - which hopefully will bring out the best in what ever sound is going into the mic. Case in point my VX2000 works well with an AT4047 but not with a KSM32 (the 4047 is a "warmer sounding" mic). The VX2000 sounds bad with a C3000 (which is a "harsh" mic). The VX2000 does seem to work well with a Marshall V67 (even though this is not an extremely "warm" mic)

The main concern with a channel strip is the fact that it provides EQ, compression and other processing - each of which requires some understanding to use. You can get a good sound coming into the mic pre stage and then mess it up when running it through the processing.

I'm very satisfied with the VX2000 (for the price) - but it is a tool (a complicated tool) which can be used well or used poorly. However, if you have an understanding of processing and are looking for a decent pre/channel strip it certainly is a good value.

Thanks for your response. Yeah definately looks alright for the price. I just thought i could probably use something that is a bit warmer than my Alto mixer for the pre's. I've got a Sp B1 and love the sound i'm getting but i feel the mixer is letting it down a bit.

I might look into the SP Vtb1 aswell.

BrettMckinney said:

I might look into the SP Vtb1 aswell.

I think that could be a better choice....I haven't used a VTB my self, but it's far more popular than the behringer...

jdrockweller - How do you find the VTB-1? I'm using my SP B1 mic just through my budget mixer and have never had a mic-pre. WOuld this make the mic sound a lot more warmer? Actually i'm not even sure how to hook it up?!
Would i still use the mixer..like go from the pre to the mixer then to my soundcard?

Brett, you'd go direct from the preamp to your soundcard, but you'd ideally want to match the operating levels of the preamp output and soundcard input....but yeah, straight to the soundcard

Brett - I am using an SP C1 mic, and at least to my ears, the VTB-1 definitely warms it up. The tube blend is wonderful, the high-pass filter is very useful, and the choice of either a Hi-Z 1/4" line in (say, from a bass guitar) or an XLR in (with switchable 48v phantom power) is great. The unit has my high recommendation. My only qualm is that it is a single channel unit. But if you are doing stereo recording then you can just buy two. The price makes that an easy reality.

Also, if you are thinking about buying one, I recommend humbuckermusic.com - as they had the best price on the unit that I was able to find.

I picked up a FMR Real Nice Compressor (RNC1773) while I was at it. If you need a compressor, it's an awesome unit. I use a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) cable to run it though the insert jack on the VTB-1. I must say that the combo those two make is unbeatable for the price. $300 bought em both.

-Allen

Thanks heaps for the suggestions guys. I think i'll definately get one...i'm sure i'll notice a huge difference compared to my mixer. JD--I am looking into a compressor too so i'll check out FMR for sure..i'm dabbling in the software compression until i get my head around it and then i'll jump in.!

Brett,
I second (or third or whatever) the RNC suggestion. Mine is great - I am enjoying supernice mode a lot - much nicer than my behringer.
Got it for AU$359 from www.musiclab.net.au - a little more costly than importing from the US, but much closer to home if it needs service etc. The special has finished, but you can always ask!
Steve

Steve, last time I looked, the musiclab had it for 380, so that's a bit of improvement there:) ...I bought some stuff from them before...they're OK. How did you find the customer service? Did you deal with Dean or someone else?

cheers
P.S. u from Mel or...???

oops just realized the "NZ":)

Last edited:
Sen, I dealt with Dean - the customer service was very good as far as I was concerned. It was one of their "blowout specials" on the home page of their site. They responded quickly to my emails, and were very efficient on the phone when I rang. A bit brusque perhaps, but very efficient. And it was posted well-packed. I couldn't be happier really (FMR doesn't have a distributor here, and Australian prices are almost always (except Studio Projects/Joe Meek) better than the ones here). I could fly to Sydney and buy an NTK (oh I wish I had the $) for the price of getting one here (and I live in Auckland - smaller centres are even worse!).

Brett - let me know how the VTB-1 turns out - they were on my short list for gear to buy when I saw the RNC price and couldn't pass it up! I'd love a different option for pre's vs my mackie, but like you I have to buy a piece at a time...

Steve

Back