Basic Equipment Advice?

hunt

I'm setting up a home recording studio. I've been looking around the internet a little bit at videos that tell you what to get, and articles with recommendations.

Basically so far I have a computer with the proper software. I have a keyboard as a midi controller (and I also have a small midi controller). I have just ordered a quality Audio Interface, and in the near future I plan to invest in some kick-ass studio monitors (Focal CMS 50 Studio Monitors--every review I've read about these is fantastic).

Basically what I'm asking is, do I need any of the following to do the correct work:
  • Pre-Amp
  • Compressor
  • Direct Box
  • Anything else?

I do NOT have a mixer. But as far as I know, the computer can do the appropriate mixing for me, and it can also do the job of a compressor pretty well. Furthermore, the Audio Interface should do the job of the Pre-Amp, correct? And what the heck is a direct box?

I'm looking for the highest possible quality on a decent budget, so if you think the actual pieces of equipment could perform a certain function better than the computer could, let me know. I use Pre-Sonus Studio One as my software.

Thank you so much!

Short answer is no, you do not need any of those items.

Depending on what software you've purchased, you should have built in compressor, as well as other effects. If you are looking for more, you can get them from various sites, including many great free ones.

Preamps are wonderful things down the road. Your interface will have preamps built in. and should, repeat should, have an instrument level input.

Read the stickies in the newb section as well as mixing and recording, and you'll get a lot of great answers.
Welcome to the board and Happy Recording :D

edit
okay, I missed Studio One. There is a compressor, a limiter, an expander and something called tri-comp built in.

Your audio interface will most likely have one or more preamps built in to it, so no worries there.

No big need to have an outboard compressor when you're first starting out. Software compressors (even some of the free ones) are more than capable of serving your needs.

A direct box is mainly for matching input/output levels and impedance between different pieces of gear. It would be for things like plugging a guitar or bass directly into an line input on your audio interface. But your interface's preamps will do an adequate job of that for now. Depending on which interface you bought, it may already have instrument-level jacks on it anyways.

Are you going to record any vocals? Acoustic instruments? Percussion? Or is it all electronic music done on the computer? Any other people collaborating/participating in your recordings?

BTW, if you have (or are upgrading to) Studio One Professional, you also get the Multiband Dynamics for up to 5 bands of compression or expansion (great for EDM and other brick wall genres).

One thing you did not mention, though are room acoustics. The best monitors in the world cannot help you if the music reaching your ears is not truthful. Check the small room acoustics sticky in Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment for starters...Bass traps, ceiling clouds, monitor placement, primary reflections. It's all such fun! I'm still putting up the acoustic 703 around my room, but I'm almost done...It can be semi-inexpensive (couple hundred) to major expensive (tens of thousands), but the lower end is usually sufficient for HR. Just get a couple of bundles (3 to start) of Roxul or OC 703, and some burlap or other porous cloth from your local walmart $1 fabric bin to start and some cheap pine 1x2 (if you're the DIY sort). Use one 2x4 for a cloud, a couple around the room for reflections (these need frames). Then cut the remainder in half (2x2) and then diagonally. Stack them in the corners for superchunk bass traps (you want them floor to ceiling if possible), tack cloth in front. Check a lot of the posts in the Stuidio Build... section for lots of great ideas!

Most software have effects available in-house. You won't need the compressor unless you like compressing during recording and want to put it in-line. (I had a lot of rack mount devices from my tape studio, but if you're starting digital, don't worry about it.) There are good effects that are free online as well. Your quality interface probably contains quality preamps. That doesn't mean you might not want one If you decide you do, I recommend the Focusrite Twin Track Pro. It has a sweep impedance adjustment that can turn a mic into a real powerhouse. It's also great for live stereo recording. I'm pretty sure they still make it. If not, just try to get one with impedance matching capability if you can. The direct box is a must, especially if you are recording guitar or bass or any other line level instrument if your interface does not have inputs for line level. Otherwise, it's helpful for live recording for the bass. The price is low enough for one of those. Mics are a consideration. I have my preferences but there are so many in the budget and mid budget area I'll let someone else help you there. I have drum mics from three companies, small diaphragm Rode NT5 stereo matched mics for overheads, a Samson C03 studio mic, a handful of Shure 57's and 58's and an old Telefunken given to me when they were cleaning out the mic cabinet at Power Station. You might consider a wireless trackball mouse if you are not going to use a digital mixing board interface. One last thing: a really comfortable chair. If people criticize you without offering anything of value, ignore them. Good luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer

I'm setting up a home recording studio. I've been looking around the internet a little bit at videos that tell you what to get, and articles with recommendations.

Basically so far I have a computer with the proper software. I have a keyboard as a midi controller (and I also have a small midi controller). I have just ordered a quality Audio Interface, and in the near future I plan to invest in some kick-ass studio monitors (Focal CMS 50 Studio Monitors--every review I've read about these is fantastic).

Basically what I'm asking is, do I need any of the following to do the correct work:
  • Pre-Amp
  • Compressor
  • Direct Box
  • Anything else?

I do NOT have a mixer. But as far as I know, the computer can do the appropriate mixing for me, and it can also do the job of a compressor pretty well. Furthermore, the Audio Interface should do the job of the Pre-Amp, correct? And what the heck is a direct box?

I'm looking for the highest possible quality on a decent budget, so if you think the actual pieces of equipment could perform a certain function better than the computer could, let me know. I use Pre-Sonus Studio One as my software.

Thank you so much!

The Twin Track Pro was replaced by the ISA Two. $750-800. Just a little steep for basic gear, but a nice unit. If you're spending $1200 on monitors, it might just be up your alley.

There's nothing wrong with having an outbourd hardware pre/comp/eq in front an interface. It's a step up and can really improve your sound going in.
I use the LA610 and my friend uses the ISA 2 and it's a nice improvement over just the intefaces which can be cold and sterile.

Back