Audio interface questions

lostcausestudio

So right now my recording setup is mics direct into my behringer x32 mixer, routed out through the x32's soundcard/interface, and direct into my mac. I'm not using a standalone interface for my recording. Is there any advantage to using a dedicated interface to go between my x32 and my mac? Or is the way I have it routed sufficient?

The X32 is an interface, so .. no, you don't really need another interface.

I haven't used the X32, so I can't comment whether you would get any "higher quality" recordings with another interface. I'm guessing moving from the X32 to something like a Focusrite Scarlett will be more of a lateral move in terms of quality. As long as you can record and monitor your DAW, you're covered. You have 32 channels in/out with the Behringer, so you're perfectly positioned to do full band recording.

The X32 will do 24bit / 44.1 or 48K sample rate which should give perfectly acceptable recordings.

thanks for the reply, mostly was curious because someone who got me into the recording realm just bought one but he's using a separate interface so he can record at 96k. I haven't been doing this as long as he has so it had me wondering if running 48k was sufficient enough, or if I should look into going the route he did

That actually looks like a good mixer/interface. While 96 many like for the overhead, I would think if you are going in at 44.1 you are still getting a pretty high quality sound. Until you get everything else in your chain improved, mics, room sound, etc. I think the 96 is really not a great gain without everything else being better first.

My 2 cents.

I have the XR18 and it works great for FOH and simultaneously recording the gig. I haven't used it as a studio interface, but I'm sure it would be fine.

96khz is overkill for audio. Especially when playback is through desktop speakers, earbuds, car stereo, etc. Like DM60 pointed out, there is so much more to consider before sample rate makes a difference. The resources consumed to support 96khz is not worth the minor perceived gain in quality. Not only are file sizes huge, the cpu has to move more data, and plugs have to process twice as much.

thank you for the replies, at this point my mics are pretty good, and I am running everything through a mac. But if 96k sample rate isn't going to make that big of a difference in the long run I am apt to stick with what I know. The x32 has been a great mixer\interface thus far, and it being a control surface has made mixing feel a little more ergonomic for me, So I really didn't want to make any changes unless the results from those changes would be a huge difference in sound

Back