ART Voice Channel Strip w/ Digital Output - Need Help

vofriend

Hey there,

I'm just as new to the forum as I am to audio engineering and the equipment involved. Sorry if this question is a really basic one, but I'm a voice over artist just starting to break into my career and I am pretty confused about the new hardware. I recently just upgraded from a Focusrite Scarlett Pro preamp in favor of a voice channel strip, specificaly speaking, the ART VoiceChannel Tube Channel Strip With Digital Output. I havye connected the xlr cable for my NT1A into the mic input in the front of the channel strip, connected the strip to my pc using the usb output, and have the power cable plugged in. It turns on just fine, but my problem lies in, where the heck do I plug in the headphones?? Looks like there's no spot for audio output and I've read all through the manual trying to figure this out as well as have checked out too many Youtube videos that never go over this detail. I'm assuming that since I can't really find anyone talking about it specifically, it has to be pretty obvious... unfortunately, I've yet to figure this out. I need to be able to hear myself talking in the mic while I'm recording. Anyone willing to help me out on this?

Hello vofriend,
I found this on a Sound on Sound review of the ART Strip:
"That the USB socket offers a way to get audio directly into your computer system without a separate interface is beyond doubt. However, ART provide no dedicated low‑latency driver, and because the Voice Channel has no playback monitoring facilities of its own, Windows users may need to download a third‑party multi‑device audio driver to record via the Voice Channel and listen back at the same time."
source: ART Voice Channel |

Looks like you"ll need to tap your Scarlett, for the monitoring capabilities. My Symetrix 528E has the same issue (less the USB that your ART does) and I use a Lexicon Alpha's USB >>computer. I rarely use cans when recording. If needed, I do the one-off trick. More often, I use them to check initial levels, then turn them down and hang'em up.
Dale

Edit: [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] - I"ll call it a tie. ;)

Last edited:
Hi there,

The Scarlett Pro isn't just a preamp; It's an all-in-one audio interface with A/D and D/A conversion, and preamp built in.
The Art, on the other hand, is primarily a preamp/channel strip but happens to have Analog to Digital output over USB, which isn't very common.

Usually standalone preamps or channel strips are fed to the line input of a recorder or interface, so that's what I'd suggest.
Continue using the Scarlett as your audio interface and put the Art in front of it : Art line output to Scarlett line input. (TRS to TRS cable).
If your model of Scarlett has s/pdif, you could use that instead.

Edit : You beat me to it, Dale. ;)

Hey, thank you both so, so much! I think I'll see if I can get the ART connected to the Scarlett, then. You guys da best! Thanks! :listeningmusic:

Back