timboZ

Anybody know anything about the ART T8 8-Channel Transformer Isolator

ART T8 @ Musician Friend

PDF Manual

Can it be used like this..............

XLR in from mic
XLR Out to main FOH mixer
1/4 HiZ out to recording desk

Will the XLR in - XLR out pass phantom power or is it on a X-former?
And is the ground lifted on the XLR in - XLR out?

The manual dose not have a schematic.
What is on the X-former?

timboZ said:
XLR in from mic
XLR Out to main FOH mixer
1/4 HiZ out to recording desk

1/4" will never pass phantom power. Transformers do not pass phantom power, either.

Why in the world would you want to do something like this anyway?

To help with ground loops and such where you might have the mics doing double duty (one side of a split going to a PA and the other split going to a multitrack).

dgatwood said:
1/4" will never pass phantom power. Transformers do not pass phantom power, either.

I know 1/4 will mot pass phantom power. I asked if the XLR in to XLR out will pass phantom power.
Is the XLR in - XLR out on a transformer.

dgatwood said:
Why in the world would you want to do something like this anyway?

I want to split the cable to run the XLR to the FOH mixer and the 1/4 to the multy-track recorder.

dgatwood said:
1/4" will never pass phantom power.

I hope what you meant to say is that 1/4" line inputs on a mixer won't provide phantom power, because a 1/4" conductor certainly can conduct phantom power.

Adam P said:
I hope what you meant to say is that 1/4" line inputs on a mixer won't provide phantom power, because a 1/4" conductor certainly can conduct phantom power.

Well, sure, electrically, it is physically capable of passing voltage... but no piece of gear on the planet (AFAIK) is wired that way.... :)

dgatwood said:
Well, sure, electrically, it is physically capable of passing voltage... but no piece of gear on the planet (AFAIK) is wired that way.... :)

I know, and now I know that you know. I just didn't want a person who doesn't know to read that and automatically think that its somehow physically impossible for phantom power to be conducted on a 1/4" connection. :)

Adam P said:
I know, and now I know that you know. I just didn't want a person who doesn't know to read that and automatically think that its somehow physically impossible for phantom power to be conducted on a 1/4" connection. :)

True enough. Somebody could, I suppose, do something like turn phantom on, then plug their guitar into the mic input using an adapter. Pop... sizzle.... :D

Back