Applying compression to the Master Buss...

Hi guys... I heard that that´s a pretty common thing to do...

I have a friend who uses the Waves G-MASTER BUSS Compression with good results...

I kind of lost on basic setting when using a compressor in that fashion...

Should I start with an slow attack and release? or viceversa?

Any experiences?
Thanks!

On my DBX 162SL I find the best result is to leave it on Auto mode. So this made me curious about what the magical numbers are for auto mode. After much playing around I found the settings where I couldn't tell the difference between auto and manual.

Attack (roughly) 5-6 dB/msec
Release between 70 and 80 dB/msec

This sounds great on most material I run through the bus. The manual for my compressor say that in Auto the attack rate and release time are automatically adjusted to suit the program envelope. Despite that claim I hear no difference using the settings above and auto mode.

I heard that that´s a pretty common thing to do...
Keep in mind that it's "pretty common" to have a dB or two of gain reduction on the buss. You're not compressing for volume, you're not compressing to correct out-of-whack dynamics at the track level, etc. If the mix needs more than a dB or two of "glue" then find out what's wrong with the mix.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that it's "pretty common" to have a dB or two of gain reduction on the buss. You're not compressing for volume, you're not compressing to correct out-of-whack dynamics at the track level, etc. If the mix needs more than a dB or two of "glue" then find out what's wrong with the mix.

Thanks MM! I´m recording some Argentinian folk music, so I don´t care much about volume right now... I´ll try to post samples soon... :)

Yup...John's right on. You don't want to ram the mix into your buss compression...you just want a bit to glue things together. Slow attack, fast release, low ratio...I don't even touch the MU gain knob. "Transparent" is the name of the game.

Weez

Back