Any way to mix 2 mono SPDIF units into one stereo SPDIF input?

jeronimo

Is there any way to get two units that have SPDIF outs (each one is a mono unit) and "blend" those into one SPDIF input?
For example, two 376 into one SPDIF, one unit it left, the other is right, right!? :)

S/PDIF is a stereo interleaved format, so I assume the mono units are just not using one channel. The only way to combine them is to use a digital mixer, or digital recording/editing program on a computer. I've seen entry level Tascam & Fostex digital mixers going for less than $500. On the computer front, you could bring the mono tracks into any sound card with a S/PDIF input one at a time, line them up and pan them in your software, then output stereo through the S/PDIF out.

Scott

Thanks for your reply Scott, but wouldn´t do it for me... well, first let me tell you, I´m just trying to answer this doubt because it can add a few units to my "what to get" research :).
I was wondering about a digital patchbay... maybe something like this would do it... I don´t know, I´ve never seen one before...

Sorry, but digital signals don't behave like analog signals. Patchbays, 'Y' cords etc. won't combine them.

Scott

Back