Any suggestions on buying an effects processor?

SappyHad

Hello i'm looking to buy an outboard effects processor, am looking to spend around 200.00 to 300.00.

I'll be using it exclusively for home recording.

I record with a Yamaha AW4416 but am not real thrilled with the reverbs and some of the other effects that are onboard.

I'm hoping that an outboard unit in this price range would be an improvement over the Yamaha AW4416's effects.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Eric J.

"Music Heals"

Look at some of the Lexicon and TC Electronics stuff in that range and decide what feature set is right for you. These will not match the high end stuff by these companies but they are decent.

fluxburn said:
damn it has been a long time, I forgot about that thing. In relation to the tc electronic fireworx is this unit better or worse?

Ps I make lots of techno, psytrance, trance, rock, hip hop, so I like a very diverse unit

Apples and oranges, man - different beasts - the Rumour is a reverb box, while the fireworx is a rude effects box (that is, less-polite effects).

You may be better off comparing the fireworx to the Kurzweil Mangler.

BTW, one is $500, the other $1800. I believe the Kurzweil units more than hold their own against the TC boxes, though.

I was thinking of getting the lexicon pcm80, the older model of the current pcm81 (the pretty top of the line multieffects box). Of course they have the surround processors which are even nicer, but I am betting that the older model sounds just as good as the new one.

I love when apogee puts out new gear and all the studios sell last years model for nickels on the dime. Honestly unless you actually use 192 khz bit rates, then what is the point. I use 24bit 44khz even though I have dual 120gig harddrive and could get 160gig harddrives for only $100 that are seagate barracuta's from www.pricewatch.com which are even in sata configuration, I still barely hear a noticable difference which justifies the 10x increase in disc space.

I would love someone to come out with a sequencer that didn't use the retarded wav or aiff formats. Those formats are from the dark ages god, it's is like using the goddamn 286 processor with a 5 gig harddrive and 50megs of ram. I mean what is the probelm? We have new processors, cd players, dvd technology, new memory, even now new pci busses that pull 20x more information, but the morons in the audio department can't design a new format that has 10x the sound data and the same file size or less. Ridiculous, sorry.... I already have so many harddrives in my computer, I don't need to run a server to make music lol.

And a side note, buying new musical gear that is $$$ is the worse investment ever. Musical equipment losses 50-60% of its value after the first year, that is even worse then a car. Check it out, a motif 8 from yamaha $3000 new, now it is worth $1600, $2000 if you are lucky. Honest to god, emu mo phatt synthesizer $800 new, next year $300 or I even saw $200. The music equipment scene is all about HYPE, and that is all. Technology today is at a limit where almost everything is the same. Sorry Cubase Sx2 to Cubase Sx3 is a joke, they went to 2.2 then skip to 3.0? The features in Sx3 are trivial to Sx2, I will never upgrade. I love how people still use Cubase VST, the technology game is a joke. I have a 2.4 ghz p4 with 1 gig of ram, I have no need to upgrade for years to come, it is so ridiculously fast with almost 0 latency due to the best memory on the market.

The funny thing about synths, rather then computers is computers break after 3 years, like hp products and etc. Honestly, all computers now are designed to break after 3-4 years, and they do. At least synths don't break down after 3-4 years, actually they can last 30-40 years. But unless you are living in cloud 9, you might have noticed that you espon printer falls apart after 4 years, or you motoralla phone purposely had a crappy antenna when the economy sucked for extra revenues, etc.

fluxburn said:
I was thinking of getting the lexicon pcm80, the older model of the current pcm81 (the pretty top of the line multieffects box). Of course they have the surround processors which are even nicer, but I am betting that the older model sounds just as good as the new one.

I have a PCM-81 and like it very much. There are a few differences between it and the earlier PCM-80. The pitch FX algos are built into the PCM-81, whereas you need the card to use them with the PCM-80. I think the PCM-80 also has 1/4" connectors, while the PCM-81 has 1/4" and XLR. I'm not 100% sure, but the PCM-80 might also not be true 24 bit. I think it's 20 bit, but I could be wrong about that.

At the prices PCM-80's are going for these days, they are *totally* worth it in my opinion. Better yet if you can swing a PCM-81, but the PCM- 80's are going to sound pretty close.

I have a PCM-91 too, and I really enjoy it and the PCM-81. They are worlds better than the MPX series.

Looks like I could get one for 70 for the Lxp-15 on ebay now. What series is the Lxp-15, I know the pcm80 series is the top of the line.

I just need a outboard effects unit for reverb and another one for delay and possibly wierd effects.

SonicAlbert said:
That kind of thinking is a sickness. And I disagree that it is 90% as good.

As do I. The Rumour is in a different class. That is not to say the MPXs are not usable; I have and MPX 500 and an MPX 1 and they're both very usable. But they're not in the same class as the Rumour, IMHO.

Back