Any problems with using both an XLR and 1/4" Output simultaneously?

silentsky

I've got an ART MPA Gold mic preamp, and I want to connect one of the outputs (1/4") to my recording interface and the other output (XLR) to a headphone amp. Should this cause any problems? I've seen some user manuals for pro audio gear that explicitly tell you not to use both outputs simultaneously while others make no mention of it. I've hooked it up, and it seems to work, but I want to find out there's anything technically wrong with connecting it up this way.

BTW, I tried contacting ART's technical support, but after a couple of weeks haven't gotten a response.

I'm not 100% sure about the ART MPA, but I have their little MP Studio, and the manual says you can use both. Also, the ART MPA Pro says you can use both so I don't think it's a problem. Here is the excerpt from the MPA Pro manual:

Output
Both balanced and unbalanced output connections may be
used simultaneously. This is particularly useful when using the
PRO MPA as a direct box for instruments or line level signals.
**Note: If you experience a grounding hum when using both
output connectors (one to the console, one to an instrument
amp) simultaneously, a ground loop may be the problem. To
remedy this problem, disconnect the ground wire (pin 1) from
the XLR cable plugged into the PRO MPAÕs output (or use a
ground-lifted cable). This interrupts the ground path and therefore

I don't know if this will help but when hooking up my DBX 231 EQ it states that using balanced and unbalanced connections might damage components. I don't know if this is the case for you or not.

I have a Presonus BlueTube and used it for a long time with both hooked up.

My feeling is that unless the manual specifically say there's a problem or it sounds bad that there's no problem.

Manufacturer is probably just covering it's own ass from user abuse from either overdriving the input or the impedance mismatch on the output, it's not ideal, but if it sounds good... harm is extremely rare

Back