Another Behringer Truth Problem!!!

Fishybob

Hi

This is my first complaint about the Truths they have served me well until now.

My Truths are the original (B2301 not the B2301A) and they've been great... well, ok anyway.

Everytime I power up the speakers after a minute or so (without any audio playing) the right one pops and BANG!!! Limit light on, dead. :eek:

I tried it with audio. When it bangs all audio stops and... dead. :eek: :eek:

Now, I'm on a tight budget and can't afford a replacement. Has anyone had this/know what to do to make it all go away?! :o

I'm screwed. I know these aren't the best monitors but they are the best I could afford. They've lasted 3 years so far... not nearly value for money yet.

Fishybob said:
They've lasted 3 years so far... not nearly value for money yet.

Actually, to the contrary, if you've gone three years without any problems from a Behringer product ... you've made out pretty well.

And I'm afraid this isn't even a joke. You did well. And you got value out of it.

But you realize that you are kind of screwed, because it doesn't sound like it's working right now. It's time for new monitors.

Last edited:
Fishybob said:
Hi

This is my first complaint about the Truths they have served me well until now.

My Truths are the original (B2301 not the B2301A) and they've been great... well, ok anyway.

Everytime I power up the speakers after a minute or so (without any audio playing) the right one pops and BANG!!! Limit light on, dead. :eek:

I tried it with audio. When it bangs all audio stops and... dead. :eek: :eek:

Now, I'm on a tight budget and can't afford a replacement. Has anyone had this/know what to do to make it all go away?! :o

I'm screwed. I know these aren't the best monitors but they are the best I could afford. They've lasted 3 years so far... not nearly value for money yet.

I don't know that particular piece of hardware, but a few thoughts came to mind....

Does it have a thermal cutoff that might be tripping and shutting down the final amplifier stage? If so, it could be something as simple as not having proper thermal caulk between an output transistor and its heatsink or something... or the thermal cutoff itself could be failing.

Alternately, it could be a partial short on the amplifier's output causing some safety to kick in because of too high a current drain... like a speaker with a short in the voice coil or a speaker wire that came unsoldered and is partially shorting across to the other contact. Or there could be a breaker that's failing.

I have the same speakers.
I like them a lot, but I noticed the "bang" problem on "re-powerup" almost immediately. When I was doing research, I discovered that the Mackies are often reported as having the same problem.

The problem is associated with capacitors that don't fully discharge unless left off for at least a couple hours. If you turn them back on before they are discharged,,you get a loud "thump" as the voltage spike hits the speakers.

*If I understand what you are saying**: Yours "thump" when re-powered-up after a short off-time. This is actually normal. What you are saying is that they "thump" and then also go DEAD for a period of time ? If this is it, it is probably an automatic circuit breaker whose value have drigfted slightly lower as the speakers have aged. Mine has never done that, but I have always avoided the "power trhump" as described below.

The solution might be simply to never power them off in a day after you have turned them on. They haver the "automatic off" system that silences them and goes into power save mode. They don't thuimp when they come back on from power save mode. So once I turn them on for the day, I never turn them off unless I am sure that I am not going to be using them for at least a few hours.

Have I understood correctly ?

Actually, the Behringers are one of the very few studio monitors that are actually calibrated in an anechoic chamber. Mine were sent with the calibration curves. They sound great. ....or at least they sound exactly like what is really in the signal.

Hi Axis,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.

The thump which you discribe has also happened to me since I've had the speakers. The thump which is causing the cutoff doesn't kick-in until after a minute or so.

A user on another forum recommended a bloke who is an official Behringer techie type guy. I rang him and explained the problem and he knew exactly what part had given out. That part is £60 and which shipping the repair came to £100.

I'm now looking to see if anyone else can repair it cheaper. But it is a good time for me (financially) so I may take the innitiative and upgrade to KRK v6 which would suit my new space better. :D

Thanks again for your help.

Isn't 100 pounds something like $300 USD ?!?!?!?!?
Yikes !

It is hard to imagine a single component that costs that much. If you can get the part number, maybe there are discount electronics supply houses that can get it cheaper.

Good luck !

That was with the man power included. I'm still going to update but I'll try to fix them first via a 'normal' electrical repair company and sell them (cheap!) and use the money to go towards the new KRK V6. :o

The Axis said:
Isn't 100 pounds something like $300 USD ?!?!?!?!?
Yikes !

It is hard to imagine a single component that costs that much. If you can get the part number, maybe there are discount electronics supply houses that can get it cheaper.

Good luck !
Jesus, no! I don't think the $ is that low (yet), £100 is about $170, I think

I understand this is an ancient thread, but one of my B2031A's is getting this symptom repaired right now. I am lucky enough to live locally to a certified Berri repair shop(Columbus, Ohio), and they said its a bad regulator in the power supply. A $3 part with $50 of man power(they are pricey, but do excellent work).

I just wanted to post this for the next man googling when his Truth starts dying on him.

The problem is associated with capacitors that don't fully discharge unless left off for at least a couple hours. If you turn them back on before they are discharged,,you get a loud "thump" as the voltage spike hits the speakers.

I have the same thing with my Line6 combo.

READ IT IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

The problem is so simple and cost almost nothing. You need to open the amplifier and use thermal paste. Nothing more nothing else. The problem will be fixed.

and that answer is extremely vague too! Thermal paste??? Not remotely a product that stops this as it's not a cure, but a preventative. It works when parts get hot. The OP here clearly turned on, got a bang - that is NOTHING Thermal paste would cure.

Back