Analog Levels and Digital Levels, where do they meet?

thispleasesme

Hey everyone. I've been rereading a lot of books and articles online about the fundamentals of audio i.e. wave properties, phase, distortion, etc. Just trying to make sure that if there was anything I skipped a couple years back when I was starting out, I learn it now.

One thing I came across that I had always noticed but never really thought anything of is the fact that 0dB on my analog gear (my pre's, my mixer, etc.) is a lot different than 0dB on my digital gear. I'm wondering, can anyone explain a bit more to me about how the change over works? What sort of level should I look to get out of my analog gear and what levels should I set on my digital gear in order to get optimal results? I'm just a bit confused by this.

For reference, I'm using mostly Focusrite pre's (not protools, actual outboard pres) feeding a MOTU 896HD. I usually record at 48kHz 24Bit if that's of any consiquence.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to some great responses.

Blue Bear has an article on his site on the issue. I don't have a link handy but if you search for Blue Bear he has it on all his posts.

Back