Amp and External Sound Device

vasial

Hi guys,

I asked a question earlier in the Mixing/Mastering section, to which I got a great reply that taught me a great amount, and from what I learned, I have become fairly interested in buying a simple sound system for low key music production, hobby basically, not something I have the ability to put much money into. But because of my interest in the science of sound, I do think that in today's world I might be able to get something that is no doubt musical, for a great price. I don't need loud volumes, or perfect flat frequency sounds, so anyway, from what I was sent, I have become quite interested in this pair of loudspeakers:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7705307

Believe it or not, at this moment, I am doing all my electric guitar playing, music listening, and, if you can even call it this, "mixing," on a pair of 40 dollar PC speakers with no amplifier, but a fairly nice, though old, music sound card, the E-MU 0404 internal.

So now for my question, if I were to buy these loudspeakers (my first) for 90 bucks, I realize that I'd need an amplifier, and if I were to do this I'd want to keep it as very low as possible, so, I'm very clueless on this, would anyone be able to give me info on finding a cheap product that would not ruin the sound of these highly rated speakers? That would, do them justice, said another way.

And on an unrelated topic, sorta, I think if I could have all my inputs going into the sound card, where all the leveling and recording takes place, then all the mixing and effects happens through SONAR, and then out to my amp, giving it just the kick the speakers need, I couldn't ask for much more for my (once again) low key operation, at least for now. But I'm having a problem, I have two fairly nice mics which are apparently electret microphones(?), and need some boost to be worth anything, if I'm understanding right. I can't get squat gain out of them, and after boosting the hell out of them they sound like crap, but they cost around 100 each (not wonderful I know but okay). So can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? Why won't my 0404 sound card give the extra +5v, and if it won't period, then what do I need to do it? Will an external USB sound card do the trick? Because I like the sound of it anyway, so I can plug it into different computers. And no I don't want a preamp (unless someone gives me very substantial evidence otherwise), I feel my computer should be able to do that job fine, if I engineer it correct.

Thanks.

Back