Alright stop me from buying this!

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Art Di/o

yeah you know what it is.

I got a RME Digi 96/8 to transfer tracks from ADAT to my PC, and I really need/want to get some sort of A/D/A so that I can just shelf my Gadgetlabs 496. (no drivers, no drivers, boo hoo) The RME expansion boards would be just fine. Great actually. But I'd need seperate boards for A/D and D/A, and don't have the flow right now. really I need the D/A immediately- really the price for the D/A expansion board and the ART Di/o are about the same and I can get either like NOW. Just can't make up my mind. I sort of lean to the ART just cuz i can go in and out with it. Plus, it's outboard, so could be useful in other setups and serve me well in different situations. but, geeze, it's crappy ART "TOOB" going in, but i view that as another possible "color". going out, no TOOB! (thank god) and I'm positive it's fine for monitoring, I mean hell those damn audiophiles love it! lol. arggh. So c'mon guys tell me I'm crazy so I can just get the RME D/A exb board and get on with it. :D

James HE said:
Art Di/o

I got a RME Digi 96/8 to transfer tracks from ADAT to my PC, and I really need/want to get some sort of A/D/A so that I can just shelf my Gadgetlabs 496. (no drivers, no drivers, boo hoo) The RME expansion boards would be just fine. Great actually. But I'd need seperate boards for A/D and D/A, and don't have the flow right now. really I need the D/A immediately- really the price for the D/A expansion board and the ART Di/o are about the same and I can get either like NOW. Just can't make up my mind. I sort of lean to the ART just cuz i can go in and out with it. Plus, it's outboard, so could be useful in other setups and serve me well in different situations. but, geeze, it's crappy ART "TOOB" going in, but i view that as another possible "color". going out, no TOOB! (thank god) and I'm positive it's fine for monitoring, I mean hell those damn audiophiles love it! lol. arggh. So c'mon guys tell me I'm crazy so I can just get the RME D/A exb board and get on with it. :D

Bought one early last year!!!

Ya' wanna know what I did with it.....?

I gave it away to HR.COM member, UpStateNY at last year's JAMFEST 2002!!

Reason?

The brutha' GAVE me for FREE, a Bass Amp w. 15" cab at JAMFEST

I had to reciprocate!

There was nuthin' wrong with the unit;

just had no need for it!

Yo' James, go for what U know (& want)!!!!

Alright MR.Que, you got it. I'll get both! er i mean all 3... lol.

Yup, i'll order the ART next week, no problem.

(and now, time to hijack my own thread)
I also want a Behringer multicom pro. I mean 4 channels of compression/limiting for cheap can't be bad right? :D or actually maybe a tube composer. Anyone tried those- maybe swap some toobs. don't know why i want compression so bad. I have 4 channels worth of dbx compression (266XL's) at my disposal and barely ever touch em. Except vocals- dbx overeasy is some good stuff on vox! I want to use it for bass, but I never really get what I want out of the dbx's on bass. It's too inbetween colored and transparent- just dosen't impact the sound enough, but just enough that I can hear it, and i want it to do more or less than what it is. (chessrocks head is starting to spin again :D) I guess a few RNC's might be what i need.

I just got an Apex 107 off e-bay. Should get here next week. I'm really excited about trying this thing out. I sold my DMP-2. I found that anything I want to use it on, my mackie mixer was just as suited. I think this is going to be my "kick and snare" box. Although I'm actually getting out of close micing drums at all these days.

umm yeah and a pair of Studio Projects B-1's, a MXL V69 (i think that's the right number, the new tube one) and some sort of multipattern LD condenser, like a Shure KSM 44.

umm.. and a presonus Digimax LT. and a the mecenary edition Great river MP-2.

and a apogee mini-me.

I'd be like, so set then. :D :D:D :D :D:D :D :D:D :D :D:D :D

James HE said:
Art Di/o

I've never tried one, but the fact that they'd put that "toob" crap on an AD/DA converter boggles my mind. Even if the converters are good, it's kind of like making a delicious pepperoni-mushroom pizza with a big piece of dogshit in the middle. I guess you don't have to eat the dogshit, but why put it there?

I mean hell those damn audiophiles love it!

You'd probably be better off using a green felt along the outside rim of your harddrive. I'd be seriously amazed if this thing sounded like anything but shit, but hey, stranger things have happened. I have to admit that all the "audiophile" buzz has me at least curious. Let us know how it turns out.

The A/D is nothing really special. Most soundcards use the same AKM / Codec converters.

The D/A is supposed to be a step up, though, from your typical soundcard. And with a few mods (read something about replacing the power supply) it's supposed to ber pretty kick-ass for the price.

Still, if you can find one anywhere, try and get a hold of the Mindprint DI Port. Trust me on this one.

Back