alesis 3630 compressor

random effect

Hello everyone. I just purchased an alesis 3620 rackmount compressor in hopes that it will eliminate the unwanted noise that i'm hearing in my recordings. I plan to go from the carvin mixer that i have into the compressor before the signal is ran into my fostex mr8. anyone have any experience with this or any settings that would be pretty standard to reduce noise? I know that i'll need to use the noise gate but am not sure of exactly how to set it. Also, any other tips on this product that would help me get the most out of our sound would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot, Paul

It depends on the noise. If it is something like hiss that is constant, you simply adjust the threshold so that the gate closes when there is nothing but noise and opens when something else happens. You set the release so that it closes quickly enough, but not too quickly, after what you want to hear stops. If you set it too quick, it will cut off decaying notes and/or might chatter.

The compressor works as long as you don't use too much reduction. This model gets muddy in a hurry.

Haha....

The Composer originally copied the Drawmer DL 231. The Drawmer unit originally retailed for around $1000 or more. The original Composer retailed for about $700, when it was still made in Austria. This $300 savings at the time was the wonder of the audio market! Initial reviews of the Composer touted it as sounding just as good as the Drawmer unit, and the 30% savings in price made it an attractive buy. As manufacturing started heading overseas, Behringer probably seen the writing on the wall, and knew they could never compete in the market selling $700 Austria made compressors to a market of people that were looking for stuff that was less than $300 per box (I remember the first Composers made in China sold for around $250-300 new). OF COURSE they sent manufacturing over there. The market demaded it, and they delivered.

Truthfully, I don't think the newer Composers sound any worse, but I will agree that they don't feel as sturdy as the MDX 2100 were! The 2100 is built like a freakin' tank! You can still find them online for around $100 or less. If they work, they work!

I don't think Behringer "copied" the 3630 by any means. The feature set's are different. It DOES appear that they did a pretty copy of a Drawmer DL 231 though!

How is that for a bit of history eh? ;)

Ford Van said:
And by the way, I have used Drawmer DL 231 extensively, and can attest that the MDX 2100 is every bit as good of a compressor!

I regularly have BEs offer to buy my old ones, and my old 4 channel Autocom as well.

I actually like the Behringer SNR Denoiser for this application being it's "single ended', than a gate. If the noise you are hearing is "gated" suddenly, it sounds unnatural and irritating. ( IMHO) I have pretty good luck with the Behringer noise reduction in the case it has an adjustable downward expander that helps "relax" that sudden stop of "noise"! YMMV..... :D

Heh..Briefcase Engineer...that is funny.

Well, I too worked at a big club and had a lot of BE's come thru too. I never heard any complaints that we "only have Behringer" dynamics. Although, none of them offered to buy ours! LOL

random effect said:
Hello everyone. I just purchased an alesis 3620 rackmount compressor in hopes that it will eliminate the unwanted noise that i'm hearing in my recordings. I know that i'll need to use the noise gate.......any other tips on this product that would help me get the most out of our sound would be much appreciated.

You never did say what kinds of "noise" you are trying to get rid of?

Tips on this product would depend on what specific use you are putting it to.....tracking a sax? taming drum spikes? mixing a sub group? etc.....

Back