ADAT optical I/O

FoulPhil

The Digidesign 003 Rack + says it has 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O. I've never used this feature, but would that mean that I could connect something like the M-Audio Octane 8-channel Microphone/Instrument Preamp and A/D Converter with ADAT Light pipe and have a total of 16 independent tracks?

Will it be like 8 extra separate tracks or would it be 8 channels into to 1 track?

The Digidesign 003 Rack + says it has 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O. I've never used this feature, but would that mean that I could connect something like the M-Audio Octane 8-channel Microphone/Instrument Preamp and A/D Converter with ADAT Light pipe and have a total of 16 independent tracks?

Will it be like 8 extra separate tracks or would it be 8 channels into to 1 track?

It's 8 separate channels. I have an Octane that I use that way--except that it's into a TASCAM 1804 interface into cubase. Before the Octane, Cubase sees channels 1-8; after hooking up the Octane, Cubase sees channels 1-16. It's pretty sweet.

OK cool. Because I just bought a 003 Rack+ and was just wondering how many separate inputs I can get out of this thing. I haven't even received it yet, just doing my home work. I doubt I'll need more than 8 at first, but later down the road as I collect more gear it seems like the 003 Rack+ has a lot of ways to expand on the inputs.

Yo Foulphil! You should also note that you can still use the coaxial S/PDIF input while using the optical ADAT, so it's actually *18* channels. And that is pretty much where the buck stops. And yes, those are 18 discrete simultaneous ins. It isn't that often that I need all those channels, so I use a cheapie- Behringer ADA8000, which doesn't suck nearly as much as the price and the Behringer bad rep would lead you to believe.-Richie

Back