ADAT Lightpipe Cables

You can use any optical cable. I use a monster optical cable. Sending 8 tracks via optical is an Alesis exclusive.

you can get optical cables at walmart now. I've often wondered if there's really any difference between the cheap and expensive optical cables...

Blue Bear Sound said:
????

No... there is only one type of ADAT optical connection.

That's what I thought. You can't use just any optical cable for an ADAT connection. Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. are not likely to carry them.

So, anyone know of a good source (web retailer) for them?

SoundQuarters said:
That's what I thought. You can't use just any optical cable for an ADAT connection. Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. are not likely to carry them.

So, anyone know of a good source (web retailer) for them?

Most of the optical cables I've seen have both the square end with an adapter to make them round. And I found them at Target. It wouldn't hurt to look. Could save you a bunch of money.

SoundQuarters said:
You can't use just any optical cable for an ADAT connection.

If that is true, explain to me why my Monster optical cable I bought at Circuit City (a cd/electronic store like Best Buy) works for all my ADAT optical needs?

so far as I know, ADAT is just a protocol. So what's the verdict on "pro" optical cables vs. cheap ones at walmart and the like? Maybe smaller error rates or something like that?

I suspect they are the same inside. The biggest differences are probably the connectors on the ends and the casing around the cable. No doubt this is something that has been argued to death, but I say just go to your local electronics store and buy yourself a toslink cable and be done with it.

Often, the more expensive optical cables use glass on the inside and are more robust in being handled a lot. Probably in your case not worth the extra expense.

I was trying to find where I read some debate on the actual "quality" of signal passing through differing qualities of optical cable, but didnt' find it. Some claim that they get a better sounding signal via the more expense lightpipe cables. These dudes weren't exactly home recording guys either! But you may never notice the difference.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Guess I have to show you what I am talking about. Is it the same as TOSLINK? This is my ADAT cable:

Attachments

• adat small.jpg
    adat small.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 50
Back