500 series preamps - what are you using?

nuemes

Be Here Now
Since a Lunchbox post came up in the forum I realized a lot more folks here are using them than I realized.

Which 500 series preamps are you using and what specific preamp/instrument combos are working for you (and why)? Details please :)

i have a pair of a-designs p-1's which i like for vocals, acoustic/electric guitar and bass (di)-- that's all i've used them for thus far. i'm hoping to be able to try them for drum miking soon too. i also have a couple of pres in a langevin dvc and a soundcraft m8 mixer for 8 extra pres if necessary.
generally i've been running everything through the p-1's and then into the limiter section of the dvc where warranted. i got a gyraf 1176 not too long ago, and i've been meaning to try the p-1 into the g1176 and then into the langevin dvc for vocals, but haven't had the chance yet.

I have 2xAPI 512cs, an A-Designs P-1, and a Purple Biz for 500 series pres. Biz on electric guitars. P-1 on vocals and acoustic guitars, and APIs on everything else, especially percussion. The DI on the P-1 is good for bass, although I have a Ditto and Millennia TD-1 I often use for bass as well. I have a variety of other pres as well, so my lunch box pres aren't the only ones in use.

I also have 2 API 550b EQ modules and an API 525 comp. I'm waiting for the new Purple comps to be more available. The API EQs are great and are my best EQs (otherwise I have one channel of Speck ASC-T, two channels of DBX 242, and two channels of Millennia two band EQ in a pair of TD-1s). The API comp is really good on some things, like vocals, but isn't real flexible. If I had a pair, I wouldn't use them on two bus, for example. I have other more transparent comps to use as well.

I just bought my rack and got a steal of a deal on an OSA C module, but thats all thats in it right now. The next items are a pair of great rivers, a single Chandler germanium, a Lachapell pre and the Avedis pre, and maybe even the Avedis EQ.

Back