2 differnt Pres/Mics on 1 sound source. Phase problems etc??

J-3

Hey guys as you may have read in a recent post by me I'm trying to do some upgrades in the preamp/mic department. I have to give back the Neve (3405) and Drawmer (1960) 2 channel pre's I've been using. I was thinking about getting the 2 channel Great River BUT was thinking I might be better off to get One Channel of GR and a Royer 121 mic or Tube mic (K2 for instance). Thing is, I almost always run 2 mics on Elec Amps, Acoustic GTRs, Bass (amp and DI) and Snare Top and Bottom. I'm thinking now that between my TLM 103, various other Dynamics and Condensors I have and a Royer 121 all going thru the Great River Pre I should be able to select the right mic and place it properly and get a great sound with only one mic per instrument. Is it "Ok" if I ended up using say the Royer/Great River on a GTR amp and still put a 57 or TLM thru my Allen and Heath on the same amp for "stereo" or just to add in a little differnt color? Is this bad news? Phase problems etc? Would I be better off just upgrading mics and using the A&H or Getting the 2 channel GR and keep using the TLM as my main mic?
Thanks for the info
J

Honestly, with todays digital music, phase issues aren't as big, and if there is a problem you can adjust the phase in your multitracking software, if that's what you're doing. If you're recording to ADAT or tape, then you might have a small issue. Personaly, if you're really concerned about it, you could record your guitar track dry, then route the signal to your amp during playback and record the signal going through the amp using different mic configurations to hear what you like best. For phase issues mic placement is key, if you're double mic'ing the amp. For acoustic guitar I use the stereo pair from RODE and mic both the hole and the neck on the guitar, pan it just right and it sounds sweet. I am unfortunately unable to afford a Royer right now, so I am envious..... :D

Back