Will this connection work?

Quintero

Hi there!
I'm not really experienced with MIDI and so I've got the following rather basic question:
I run Cubase 10 Elements on my PC. I've got a Roland TR-8S and a Nord Stage piano. I want to use Cubase to record MIDI-Data. I connected my PC via USB with a ESI M4UeX Midi-Interface. I connected my Roland TR-8S and the Nord Stage with the ports on the Midi-Interface via Midi cables using In and Out. Is this correct? Is this going to work?
Cheers!

Hi there!
I'm not really experienced with MIDI and so I've got the following rather basic question:
I run Cubase 10 Elements on my PC. I've got a Roland TR-8S and a Nord Stage piano. I want to use Cubase to record MIDI-Data. I connected my PC via USB with a ESI M4UeX Midi-Interface. I connected my Roland TR-8S and the Nord Stage with the ports on the Midi-Interface via Midi cables using In and Out. Is this correct? Is this going to work?
Cheers!

Can't see why not? The ESI* MIDI device looks pretty good. I did not look up the Roland or the Korg but I assume they have at least MIDI DIN outputs?

As ever, download and install all the right drivers and follow that installation TO THE BOOK! One question, what are you doing about HEARING the sounds MIDI triggers in the PC? Odd to me to have a tasty MIDI interface but no Audio unit that I can see?

*I bought an ESI 1010E (from Thomann and they did not send the discs or umbilical!) and had quite a time of it setting it up but the UK people were most patient and helpful. That was some years ago, hope they have not gone the way of so many re service? i.e. shit!

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

Hi there!
Cheers!

Can't see why not? The ESI* MIDI device looks pretty good. I did not look up the Roland or the Korg but I assume they have at least MIDI DIN outputs?

As ever, download and install all the right drivers and follow that installation TO THE BOOK! One question, what are you doing about HEARING the sounds MIDI triggers in the PC? Odd to me to have a tasty MIDI interface but no Audio unit that I can see?

*I bought an ESI 1010E (from Thomann and they did not send the discs or umbilical!) and had quite a time of it setting it up but the UK people were most patient and helpful. That was some years ago, hope they have not gone the way of so many re service? i.e. shit!

Now. I did NOTHING there save wait for the post to appear, twirly thing for 20 secs or so, then, double post!

Dave.

As Dave said, this should work fine. The ESI M4UeX looks like a pretty neat unit. You should be able to record midi through it, then send midi back through it to play back through the keyboards

Thank you for your answers!

As a fact, I didn't receive any discs with the ESI M4UeX, but probably that is due to the fact that they expect us to download drivers. So I will see if I can find any drivers. Doing it TO THE BOOK is difficult, too, because there is nothing really ...

I have been able to record MIDI data in Cubase, at least I can see notes in the track, but if I played it back the keyboard would not play ...

My idea of a setup might look a bit unusual. I don't really want to work with a DAW, I only want to use the MIDI section. I have a Tascam Model 24, which I want to use for the recordings and that's where I plug in all my instruments. But I'd like to use MIDI for the drum machine and some keyboard parts. The TR-8S is a nice drum machine, but it doesn't have a song mode, so I'm trying to make up for that by using MIDI.

Thank you again. I'll keep trying to make it work! :)
Cheers, David

Yes, the book hardly qualifies! There is also the confusion of a rake of drivers available (W7/64 in your case?) and yet the book says you need none! I'll bet you a MIDI cable Windows installs a driver when first plugged in!

But then YOU are confusing me! "Don't really want to use a DAW"...WTF is Cubase then? To get MIDI data to play back you either need a Sound Module and there could be one in each or both of the MIDI devices OR, you use a VSTi in Cubase. One way or another data must be decoded to analogue notes. Obviously, wherever the audio replay is coming from it must go back to the mixer and then be routed to monitors for you to harken unto.

"Once upon a time" MIDI was simple (HAH!) You had a dumb keyboard/controller connected to an interface via a DIN cable. In pre-history said interface was a PCI card and I still have an M-A 2496 in one PC. But that card did not have any "sounds" in it and so if you wanted some drums say, you had to use Windows Wavetable Synth which was both horrible and laggy. My son used Cubase E6 and was quite happy with both the sound quality and the latency, of 64 samples.

Then USB synths and kbds began to appear and some people now say "you can do it all over USB". Well you can't IF you need to send MIDI data to the DIN port of a sound generator! (which can be in a synth of course)

Dave.

Back