Where is the Microsoft Synthesizer?

Sarah Green

I've recently started using DirectMusic Producer for playback and recording of midi files, and I like the results. I'd like to be able to access the Micrososft Synthesizer for use in other applications, as my default midi player.

But where is it? It's not to be found in Multimedia Properties - yet it must be somewhere on the system, for DirectMusic to work!

I'm using Windows 98. Can anyone advise?

Sorry to make you wait for long, lady... Hey, everyone... come over here... english women in need here...

What's your sound card, dear ? And what do you know about driver you use ? ;)

Thank you for replying.

My soundcard is a Creative SB pci 128. What do I know about the driver files? Nothing, but for what it's worth here is the list I got from control Panel:

C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTPCI9X.VXD
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMDEVLDR.VXD
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\ENSQIO.VXD
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEFAULT.ECW
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\EAPCI2M.ECW
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AC3API.DLL
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\A3D.DLL
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTPCIHLP.DLL
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTPCIR16.DLL
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTPCI9X.DRV

My soundcard doesn't support soundfonts, however I found a way of converting some soundfont files to .dls and using them with direct music. I really like the results. But it's all a rather steep learning curve for me. Also, DirectMusic producer is hardly the most immediate way of playing a midi. Any advice, in plain English please, hugely welcome!

Sarah

Thank you for the links, Jaymz. Some of them are new to me, I'll check them out.

The problem I've made for myself seems to be opting for a program that is aimed at programmers, not idiots like me. Ah well, life is full of challenges.

If I understand correctly, Microsoft soft synthesizer doesn't appear in a pc's normal midi setup; some midi players, like Winamp, are DirectX compatible, otherwise I'm stuck with my fairly grotty Wave Table synthesis. If anyone knows any ways around this, perhaps they could let me know?

Many thanks, Sarah.

Back