Software only registering occasional keyboard hits

sk87

Just got my m-audio project mix i/o today

audio on this thing is terrfic.

It came bundled with ableton live and i am having a few problems connecting the midi keyboard to it.

I am using the midi out on keyboard (yamaha psr-330 quite old) to the midi in on the m-audio project mix.

I think ive routed everything correctly in Ableton and on the keyboard im sending on channel 1 and have turned local off.

I can only one play note/chord every 4-5 seconds before it will accept another hit.

What is the reason for this how do i correct it??

Many thanks Sam

sk87 said:
I am using the midi out on keyboard (yamaha psr-330 quite old) to the midi in on the m-audio project mix.
Midi is midi. Your psr-330 will do just as good a job as any newer model.

To get rid of your latency you need to go into the Live 'options' menu and drop the 'preferences' menu at the bottom of the list. Be sure the ASIO option is selected under the audio tab, then move to the midi/sync tab. The Project Mix should be selected under BOTH control surfaces at the bottom and midi inputs at the top.

If this doesn't work --- or you've tried it already --- post again. I have some more suggestions.

Well strange thing happened last night. My sister decided to play it and it just suddenly sprung into life and worked the rest of the evening.

Just switched it all on now and same thing happening with it only registering every few seconds

actually having a deeper look into this i think its a problem with the project mix because a little green light comes on when i hit a key and this will only light up once every few seconds so i am guessing theres a communication problem between the project mix and the keyboard.

Theres no real instructions about connecting an external keyboard to the project mix so i can't get any help there.

sk87 said:
My sister decided to play it and it just suddenly sprung into life and worked the rest of the evening.
Your sister must have what we Chicagoans call 'the touch'. :D

I almost hate to suggest this (because there shouldn't be any difference between the two) but if you have one of these lying around somewhere --- or even if you need to buy one --- it may well solve your problem.

I am very reluctant to get another, cos i paid alot of money for this. I kinda expect it to work

Yeah I did.

I'm saying that ive spent £700 on the project mix, i expect the midi interface on that to work,

im sure its something im doing wrong cos it did work for bit

and the plot thickens.

I borrowed a friends keyboard to see if that was the problem (ended up being the same model)

I had the same problem. except for this one had a sustain pedal. Whenever i press the pedal the project mix will recognise it. Every single time even if i am pressing it on and off every second.

but the actual white and black keys are not getting through for some reason but the sustain pedal is. Does this mean its the project mix or is it the keyboard. Or (more likely) have i got the settings wrong. As far as i can see there is nothing i need to set up on the project mix so that must mean the keyboard settings.

I have read the instructions and i think i have got it right.

I am only using one midi lead from the keyboard out into the project mix in.( i don't think i need 2 as i am using sounds in Live 5 and listening through my speakers)

These are the keyboard MIDI options

transmit channel: 01

transmit track: r1 (default, tried others but i get nothing out of those)

receive channel: 01 (irrelevant)

receive mode: normal (irrelevant)

local: off

external clock: off (tried on but made no difference)

instructions are here...

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR330E.PDF

Please Help

You and I have spent a good deal of time posting back and forth about this problem and you've obviously spent a good deal of your own time borrowing another keyboard, testing it and carefully cataloging the results.

I can understand your insistance that this SHOULD work because of the amount of money you have invested in the ProjectMix, but since it's worked before and then stopped working again it's likely to do the same in the future. The ProjectMix is new enough on the market so that what you are running into may be on MAudio's 'to be fixed in a future update' list.

My recommendation is that instead of using the midi input on the ProjectMix you buy a USB to midi interface for 25 pounds and plug it in to your computer right next to the ProjectMix. I guarantee that they will peacefully coexist and cause no conflicts, and I'm pretty darn sure this will solve the problem once and for all.

thanx for the reply. I have been ringing the m-audio guys and they reckon its because their midi sport model doesn't support yamaha psr series.

thoughts are its gonna be based on the same technolgy in the project mix.

so i looks like i need a proper midi controller. so im off to some more shopping

Thanks

Sam

sk87 said:
they reckon its because their midi sport model doesn't support yamaha psr series.
WHAT?!?!

If they actually said that they are pulling your leg, are full of shit and are just trying to get you off of their customer complaint list as quickly as possible.

Midi is midi is midi is midi whether it comes out of a Yamaha PSR-330, a controller keyboard, a drum pad or a guitar controller. The basic 'which note, how long and how hard' formula is exactly the same in every case and the only thing that differs is the controllers that go around and on top of the notes and how easy it is to access them.

If there was such a thing as Yamaha midi or Roland midi or Korg midi the whole purpose of having a standard communication protocol between devices would cease to exist. Mountains would topple, empires would fall and we'd have to go back to the dark ages of playing all keyboard parts by hand!

the midi is midi thing is exactly what i said to him. To which he disagreed and said he was in the same difficulty as me by the fact he has expensive midi unit but cheap keyboard.

He called my psr a disney production in comparison to the m-audio.

he sent a copy of my complaint to maudio USA to see if they can find out the problem.

tbh it's worth trying a new keyboard. Im still reluctant use a seperate midi module because the i really would like everything in one unit.

Sam

Ah.

All this time I've been laboring under the misapprehension that all midi messages are created equal.

Can you please PM me with this guy's contact info? I'd love to have him set me straight...

sk87 said:
the midi is midi thing is exactly what i said to him. To which he disagreed and said he was in the same difficulty as me by the fact he has expensive midi unit but cheap keyboard.

He called my psr a disney production in comparison to the m-audio.

he sent a copy of my complaint to maudio USA to see if they can find out the problem.

tbh it's worth trying a new keyboard. Im still reluctant use a seperate midi module because the i really would like everything in one unit.

Sam
I ran into latency problems with my emu0404 and a midi to USB adaptor. I bought a midi cord and problem solved. I to don’t like the idea of having and audio interface with midi and then having to buy another midi interface. I mean you paid for it why should you have to shell out more cash. Any way have you checked to make sure its not a bad midi cord? Maybe when your sis touched it she ended up moving the cable. But I would definitely try another keyboard from some one else if you can find one before buying anything. Just to narrow it down. For all you know your m-audio may be defective.

Back