Sequencer to drum machine?

Alan McGuinness

Ok, here’s my dumb question for all you midi people out there.

Here’s the scenario:
I have a midi drum track (in CW Pro 9)
I have a drum machine (Zoom 234)
I have a soundcard (Audigy Platinum)

How do I send the midi drum track to the drum machine?
For that matter, can you send the drum track (or the midi info from it at least) to the drum machine. By the way the drum machine only has “midi in”.

The idea being, to get the midi drum track back into CW Pro 9 as a wave file using the drum machines sounds.

Correct me if I go wrong here,
Midi out from Audigy to midi in on the drum machine.
Make sure the channels are the same at both ends (CW Pro 9 and drum machine)
Then take the “line out” from the drum machine to the “line in” on the Audigy.
Set the various mute, record sources and the like.

Before you ask, nope I aint tried this yet as the Zoom wont be here until tomorrow.
My son is bringing some more of my stuff from the UK (including the zoom) whilst visiting us here.

So any pointers you can offer will be much appreciated and have me up and running a.s.a.p.

Thanks

Alan.

I'd do the hookup in stages. Hook up the MIDI like you suggested and then hook the audio out from the drum machine to some monitoring system (like some PC speakers) to verify that the MIDI is being transmitted properly. With that going- then switch the audio out to the line in on the Audigy and go to town. Good luck! It would be a good idea to try to read the Zoom manual in advance to see if there are any global settings that would make the drum machine not accept the MIDI out from the soundcard.

http://www.youreq.com/musiceq/Drum-Machines/Zoom/rt234.pdf

Thanks for the R.T.F.M. suggestion.

I was trying in my own way to figure it out in layman’s terms, that made sense to me.
I was just wondering if my thoughts made sense to someone who understands midi.
Not being of a midi persuasion, I did read said manual, which I had already downloaded and printed off (all 70 pages) before I asked the question.

Thanks for the tips.

Alan.

You are routing everything correctly.

Good advice from Doc to verify your signal and make it easy to troubleshoot later if needed.

WWJD? RTFM! :D

I only added that link because you said you hadn't even seen the thing and these toys are the least standardized in capability and operation of just about any audio device. I wasn't even certain that this was a machine capable of responding to MIDI from a sequencer other than a start/stop command or other non-musical information like an external sync.

This wasn't an off-the-cuff remark like, "make sure you plug the bastard in."

>I was trying in my own way to figure it out in layman’s terms, that made sense to me.
>I was just wondering if my thoughts made sense to someone who understands midi.

That manual is better than most in laying it out in those terms and yes, your thoughts made sense to me.

Page 51 gets down to the meat of what you want to do.

This is why I don't own one of these. From a design philosophy point of view, I think that all the sequencing capability should reside in the computer and the sounds in the tone module. But I'm sure it's a fun machine that allows you to get some decent canned rhythm tracks without a computer at all. Have fun!

Last edited:
Just kidding

Thank you, I was just kidding with the R.T.F.M. remark.

Yep, I agree with you on the module, but needs be and you go with what you got.
I’ve had some decent results using Soundfonts, and thought I’d give the Zoom a chance.
In an ideal world, I’d have John Bonham resurrected from the dead and miked up in a good studio. But we are all just trying to make a hundred dollars sound like a million.

To be fair, some people get pretty close and I suppose that’s what keeps us going.
Thank you again for the advice. By the way you are right about the manual………now there’s a thought………what’s the best easy to read manual you ever had. God knows there’s been enough bad ones.

I’d have to go for the P.O.D. manual. No nonsense stuff, plug this here, turn this knob to here and it will sound like this………..and it does!

Mass Salama (as we say here)

Alan.

Mackie makes the best manuals. They are actually kinda funny if your a little buzzed or exhausted from setting up a show the whole night before.

I own a QY-20 sequencer. They way I do it, its playing the midi track through something like midi sculptor ( dont remember the correct name ), and pointing the output to the SB midi out. I set up the tr1 ( track 1 ) with the drum sound I want, and press <rec>. Then, the sequencer will record inside itself the drum sound as if I was recording note by note.
After finished, I route the sequencer output to a multieffect, and then to my porta studio or computer input, and just record the sound.
I know it must be very amateur and rough, but as I dont have a complete setup and experience, it works ok for me.

Back