Separate Tracks for Midi Drum Set

Snowman999

I'm semi comfortable with midi in and out/channels.

I'm not a total moron. But, I've never really used it much.

Here's what I want to do. I have a Roland TD-5 kit and I want to create a separate midi track for each piece (kick - Snare - Hats - Toms).

I could just play (i'm so awful timing wise) and then duplicate the tracks and delete each instrument separately. Leaving a snare on one track, kick on another etc

I just think it would be easier to create a separate midi track for each while I play it. The snare could come out of midi 1, kick out of midi 2 etc.

My problem is, I can't seem to figure out if there's a way to have each separate instrument exit from different midi channels. I have no problem with changing an entire kit. But, the individual instrument I can't figure out. I don't see anything in the manual about it.

Does anyone know how to do this? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

I think the problem is not the MIDI, even if the MIDI were on one track, like a VST. they would still be mapped to the individual drum kit, the problem will be to get that drum hit on an individual track coming back in.

Like you are thinking, you will need to split each drum hit to its own channel, play it and then record that drum hit to its channel. Once you have the full kit in seperate audio channels, then you can treat as individual tracks.

Now, if you were to use an internal VST and use your kit as the trigger. Then you could play normally and like in Easy Drummer, route each piece to its own track in the DAW to process separately.

If I understand correctly your question.

Like you are thinking, you will need to split each drum hit to its own channel, play it and then record that drum hit to its channel. Once you have the full kit in seperate audio channels, then you can treat as individual tracks.

That's exactly what I want to do.

I'm not worried about sending them back in to the kit. I can handle that.

It's getting each instrument to it's own channel that I can not figure out. I'm not using VSTs, I'm only using the TD-5 and I want to use the midi tracks to quantize and then humanize my playing. Because my timing SUCKS. I'm actually halfway decent on live drums, but electronic (with good tracking) kills my timing to the point you'd think I was mentally ill.

Looking at the manual it doesn't look like you can send data on more than one midi channel at a time. You could probably find a work around but I think it would be easier just to record all the data on one track then split it out on a note-per-track so that you can work on each sound individually by changing the outputs of those tracks.

For the STUPID in me, I figured out how to semi do it. I have an older Pro Tools, so I have to do it a little different than more up to date versions.

I record live to a single midi track.

In newer versions of Pro Tools you highlight the track, choose SPLIT NOTES. Be sure your notes are within the region and separate each to a new track. It does it automatically for you.

Because I have an older version, I have to copy C2 (kick) and create a new midi track. Then D2 (snare) etc.

I have to say, I did a quick test run, and my timing was of course awful. With Pro Tools quantize feature I actually made my really bad timing almost perfect. Since I was playing live, the natural velocity difference was really nice.

The problem I have to figure out is, I sequenced the bass drum to perfection. So, my natural snare/toms sound better than the perfect bass drum. I have to figure out how to naturalize the perfect.

What I sometimes do, I will record first the kick and snare and say hi hat. Then I come back and add in another part. That would be two tracks. Both tracks sending to channel 1, then I get my full drums.

Also, some quantitizing will let you choose how much, example 100%, 95% etc. so it is less than perfect. My DAW has it where I can choose beginning and end percentage, but in this case it is only going to be the beginning. Say go with 90% which should keep time but give it a little human touch.

I have sometimes found, I play a little ahead and if I bring it too close, it doesn't sound right. I like the beat to be a little ahead or everything else a little behind. However you see it ;)

What I sometimes do, I will record first the kick and snare and say hi hat. Then I come back and add in another part. That would be two tracks. Both tracks sending to channel 1, then I get my full drums.

Also, some quantitizing will let you choose how much, example 100%, 95% etc. so it is less than perfect. My DAW has it where I can choose beginning and end percentage, but in this case it is only going to be the beginning. Say go with 90% which should keep time but give it a little human touch.

I have sometimes found, I play a little ahead and if I bring it too close, it doesn't sound right. I like the beat to be a little ahead or everything else a little behind. However you see it ;)

The best I can do is kick/snare one track and then overdub the hats/toms/cymbals. I've almost always added crash last. By this time I know where I want the accent to be.

As far as playing ahead. I don't even know where I play. Behind, ahead, straight forward... I just try my best.

On the song I'm working on now (that started all this) I've done the separation, quantizing. Separately they all sound great. Together there are parts that just suck. Now, it's time to get into detail. I hope I'm up to it.

Back