roland xp-30 and midi

lmnopuna

I need to figure out midi. I have a Roland XP-30 connected to a soundblaster pci card and I am using cakewalk 8 as the software. I can't seem to get it to work. I know nothing about it. I do know my cables are hooked up correctly. I fthere is another type of software I should be using let me know.

Thanks

If you have your sound card's driver installed properly, then you may find the driver on Cakewalk --> Options, Midi Devices. Highlite the Input and Output. Set new track, select the port (here you should see the port's In & Out), select channel, bank, patch etc... arm the track, record... :)

what should I

set my inputs to?

I have TTS Virtual Piano and SB External Media

My Outputs are:

Microsoft GS Wavetable synth
SB PCI External Media
SB PCI Synthesizer
Microsoft Midi Mapper

What should I set my source to?

Ihave

left soundblaster
right soundblaster
midiomni
channel 1 - channel16

What should I set my port to?

1 sb pci
2 sb pci
3 sb pc1
microsoft wavetable

what about bank select method? I would like to use my keyboard sounds

My options are:

Normal
controller 0
controller 32
patch 100

On bank it says none

and patch just has a bunch of patches.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would really like to get this figured out.

I have TTS Virtual Piano and SB External Media

You must mean SB External MIDI

If the MIDI input is set to that, that is the SB's MIDI interface In. Ditto on the output. So a track with that as an input will recieve MIDI messages coming in the interface, and send its messages out to the output on the interface.

The source should be either MIDI OMNI -- which means that any MIDI messages coming in will be recorded regardless of what channel they are assigned to -- or any of the channels 1-16 that you want -- which means that only MIDI messages assigned to the channel you select will be recorded. Of course to select the appropriate channel, you have to know which MIDI channel the Roland is set up to send on.

The port will then be the appropriate channel on the Roland. Which you choose doesn't matter so much so long as every channel is assigned to a unique one of the available 16 channels. Say Track 1's Port is set to MIDI Channel 1. When you select a Bank and a Patch (say Acoustic Piano), the synth will respond to MIDI Note On messages coming from this track by playing them with the Acoustic Piano patch.

Bank Select method depends on what the Roland wants. If you are using the correct instrument definiton file for your synth, the Bank list will show you whatever banks the synth has availble (if any), and the Patch selection then displays the 128 patches available in the currently selected Bank. Banks are simply collections of Patches.

All this is fairly well spelled out in the Cakewalk manual/help system, and they have FAQs on their website too. It all makes perfect sense if you think it through and understand the definitions.

yes it does

make sense thank you for all of your help. I think I finaaly have the cakewalk side figured out. Now I need to figure out how to set up the roland apparently. I'll contact roland about that, since I can't find manual. Thanks for all your help.

Back