Reverb when notes are played back on instrument.

ZikO

Hi all,

I pretty much new in this field meaning MIDI and recording audio.

I am trying to record my piano playing using MIDI. I have digital piano Yamaha P105 connected to MacBookPro via USB-HOST. I can manage to set both Ableton Live 9 LE and Reaper 4.61, so that I can record MIDI sequences using any of these applications. Then, I am trying to play back notes in any DAW sending them to the piano and use its voice to listen what I have recorded.

Everything's almost good apart from the huge Reverb when I play the notes back at DAW and send the MIDI sequence to the piano listening its voice. Normally when I play, the piano does add a very slight reverb to its voice and this can be set off. When I play MIDI sequence from DAW and listen them on the piano, the Reverb is really huge.

Is it possible that I would just record a MIDI sequence without any effect applied to it apart from a sustain pedal and then play everything back in the piano normal reverb? What I mean by this is the sequence send from DAW to the piano would sort-of simulate me using keys and the piano would apply reverb with the same intensity as if I playing the notes. I don't want to completely get rid of it. It is OK when I play.

Thanks

Hi there,
Just to clarify, you're recording midi data and then sending it back to the hardware keyboard/piano? There's no vst or softsynth involved?

As far as I know various settings and controls on a midi piano/keyboard can be enabled and disable by sending certain midi data, so perhaps your DAW is inadvertently sending out the right info to crank your reverb up?

Midi data can be sent in/out of a number of channels within one interface. Usually DAWs are set to omni output as default, so maybe you could try setting the output to channel 1 manually?

Hi there,
Just to clarify, you're recording midi data and then sending it back to the hardware keyboard/piano? There's no vst or softsynth involved?
Hi,

Yes. It is sent back to hardware to use its voice. I listen to the MIDI sequence via Headphones connected to the piano.

As far as I know various settings and controls on a midi piano/keyboard can be enabled and disable by sending certain midi data, so perhaps your DAW is inadvertently sending out the right info to crank your reverb up?

Midi data can be sent in/out of a number of channels within one interface. Usually DAWs are set to omni output as default, so maybe you could try setting the output to channel 1 manually?

I have double checked the channels again and now I am pretty sure:
  • in the piano, channel 1 is set to send MIDI out, channel 2 is set to receive MIDI
  • in DAW, I can choose channel 1 to receive MIDI and channel 2 to send MIDI out to the piano.
I guess if I have messed with channels I either could not have heard or recorded anything. I am still trying to figure out if there is something else I can switch on/off but I am running out of ideas.

Cheers!

Sounds strange. i allready had a similar effect in running two masterkey boards in series. One of em was a repeater of the the first one and a kind of passthough delay was added because of buffering. Somehow the softly reproduced (mixed) notes overlayed with the original. Did you try a MIDI analyzer?

Back