Recording question

Cal D

Okay. Now that i've got my stuff hooked up and sorted out, I have a question or two about recording.

I would like to play a brief solo on my keyboard but I would like it to generate a midi file that is "saveable".

My intent is to then take this midi file and use it in cool edit in my multi-track session.

I've heard talk about a sequencer and stuff like that. i just need some clarity on what type of software I need in order to allow me to save midi files while playing them.

Is there a simple to use software out there that provides this capability?

Thanks!!!!!

You can't do that with a midi file. Only an audio file. Record the output of your keyboard in CoolEdit. If you are using your SoundBlaster synth then set your windows mixer to record the MIDI Synth in Cool Edit.

A MIDI sequencer will only record the midi data and use that to playback your synths. If you want to use an audio file then you have to record the audio output. This applies whether or not you are using midi.

If you want to use MIDI files in a multitracking situation, you need something other than Cool Edit, which has no MIDI capabilities if I recall correctly.

On the low end, try Cakewalk Home Studio. Higher priced stuff would include Sonar (by cakewalk) Logic Audio (Mac only, unless you like being screwed) Cubase or Cubase SX, etc.

Otherwise, you'd have to record real audio in Cool Edit as Tex pointed out.

"I would like to play a brief solo on my keyboard but I would like it to generate a midi file that is "saveable". "
Yes you can do that but as Texroadkill stated A MIDI sequencer will only record the midi data and use that to playback your synths so it will only be as good as your Snyths.

" My intent is to then take this midi file and use it in cool edit in my multi-track session."
As Knightfly said it has no Midi capabilitys so you would need other software.

Cakewalk 9.3 is better than Cakewalk home studio. Lots of folks who bought Sonar are selling Cakewalk cheap on Ebay, etc.
From posts Ive seen on the net, Logic audio is a nightmare for a lot of people.
Seem to be a Lot of problems with cubasis on some systems too. Ive seen it stated that Cubasis does everything that Sonar can do. They all have a steep learning curve unless your a Genius and you can remember quickly. It takes Time.
A simpler program is Powertracks. I have an earlier version thats strictly midi and it synched up nice with my Vs880. The newer Version has both Audio and Midi. Though I have Cakewalk and CEP etc. Im thinking about trying it out just to see what it does.
It might be better suited for your needs and you wont have to go overboard with something you dont need at the moment.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ptnewfeatures.htm

Back