Recommend sound fonts

haburton

Hi Y'all,

I want to synthesize "band" music. Marches, suites, concertos, etc. My sound card, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, has pretty nice sound, but I would like better, more lifelike band instrumental sounds. Can anyone recommend a soundfont set that could help me out here?

Thanks

Does the Turtle Beach card support Sound Fonts? I think it doesn't, but it does support a similar sample file standard called DLS (downloadable sounds).

AlChuck said:
Does the Turtle Beach card support Sound Fonts? I think it doesn't, but it does support a similar sample file standard called DLS (downloadable sounds).

One of Microsoft's better kept secrets is that most people already have a very decent set of dls. sounds (actually licensed from Roland) and Microsoft's own Soft Synthesizer as they come with DirectX. You'll probably find these dls. sounds in Windows/System32/Drivers by the way, but the whereabouts of Microsft's Synthezier on the computer is a mystery to me - if someone can elucidate, please tell me, though there are a number of free MIDI players that use it, so it's definitely in there somewhere!

Its quite easy to convert soundfonts to dls - I did it using an evaluation copy of A-Wave Studio and used them to replace my standard gm.dls set, with pleasing results.

Sarah

Back