Which programs can modify the parameters of a Midi file outside of a project, simply

juveplu

Hi, I have projects with Midi tracks that do not allow the Freeze sound function of the synthesizer from a bank that I set. Instead, after the Freeze process is completed, are always is used №22 sound, regardless of which synthesizer or DAW. I suspect some malware has corrupted the all Midi files . For this, please list me all the possible programs that can open a Midi file so that the parameters are well visible and after changing this setting it is replaced with something which means that it is allowed for each sound number.
I opened with text editors - Sublime, Notepad, Atom but what I see is that there is not a single digit 22. There is nothing clear about it. For this, I ask for programs that are geared to open Midi files in this way to see the settings that looks something like a text document or table . In the music project, this is not visible and I cannot in any way remove it from DAW. There is always №22 sound used . And it will be difficult for me to repeat the played notes in all tracks and all projects.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the '22'? Are we talking about a random controller number? Or possible a poorly executed sysex command. This freeze sound feature. Not familiar with it. How is it triggered? Pretty well all the decent sequencers can show your MIDI data in list format, and some have quite extensive editing features.

I've never seen MIDI malware, I have seen sysex dumps that can corrupt the synth - if this has happened, you need to send it a sysex file that will restore the factory settings so you can start again.

Is this your issue? I doubt it's Malware, but when I was teaching Music Tec, one student had been experimenting with sysex and loaded his file into every workstation until none were left working. Well worth though just sending a CC121 at 0 to every troublesome device and seeing if it perks up. That's a low-level reset but often enough to cure stuck notes, pitchblende errors and wrongly loaded samples.

The synthesizer may have a different number of Presets than Lead, Bass. . . . They are not 127 but may be 32 or 28 or 46. I load different synthesizers with a different Preset number, but the # 22 sound (Preset) always starts when I run the Freeze track. The recorded sound is # 22 on the synthesizer sound list. I load another synthesizer and the # 5 sound, but then the # 22 sounds in the audio. Something prevents another Preset from being selected.
What should a ban on every other Preset look like ? Which characters ? And Allowing All Preset which characters ? What characters do I need to write in order to be resolvable ?
Please explain this - "CC121 at 0" where is this set up? In which program? Will this reset Preset # 22 and there will no longer be a ban? I'm not sure . I set the Preset # 5 synthesizer and this setting should change "CC121 to 0" or 5, but there is something here that hinders.
And what should a ban on any other preset look like - to recognize her ? Which characters ? And Allow all presets ? What characters do I need to write to have all the presets resolved ?
With which programs you will advise me ?

I don't think your midifiles are corrupted by malware.

Instead I think there are program changes embedded in the file.

There are plenty of midi editors around. Most DAWs will allow you to edit midi files.

Reaper, for example, will let you view a midi file as a piano roll, notation, or, probably more useful in your case, an event list where you can go and search for events that you want to amend or delete.

Yes I am constantly in these settings. I move notes, change the length, strength and more. But nothing related to the Freeze function can change from here. The problem comes when the Midi track is ready to be recorded as Audio and the Freeze function is used. Then I choose # 3 Preset or # 7 after the audio is ready I hear that a different sound is used than the one I chose. When looking for what sounds like, I find that it's always # 22. I change the synthesizer and everything repeats. Again, Sound # 22 is Freeze.
I either need to change the Presets numbers so that the sound I want is # 22 and the malicious Midi file will freeze it automatically (i mean enter the synthesizer presets folder and change the presets numbers if the synthesizer allows) or I need to replay all the Midi tracks from all the old songs I have a problem with (which will be difficult) or I need to fix the inserted characters in the Midi file that interfere. And they only interfere with the Freeze feature. When playing, everything is in order.

Maybe there is a program that will open the Midi file as text or a table to see for some restriction or prohibition characters?
I tried text editors, but everything went wrong there. Maybe some program that will open it understandably?

sysex.pngWhich software are you running. You seem a bit confused by the types of MIDI data. You DON'T use text editors to read midi data, you use the list function in your dAW.

I've uploaded an edit screen - I made note data, as in the actual notes invisible as they confuse things, but you can see how controller data is entered - the controller number, 10=pan, 7-volume etc and you can also see SYSEX commands, which are the strings of data separated by commas. If your files have weird data in them, you need to see this. Editing SYSEX and making a single mistake can make the synth do very crazy things and even crash it totally. Hence factory reset maybe needed.

You need to get your head around this data and I repeat - trying to find this in the data read by a text editor just isn't going to work.

Does this help?

It's NOTHING to do with the note data - this is what you've been editing = velocity, start time, end time, note pitch - this is all note data and I doubt anything at all to do with the problem. Controllers are the most likely culprit unless you messed with the SYSEX - downloaded of the net MIDI files tend to be GM standard, or even XG or GS standard and these types often contain SYSEX and setup data which again could impact on your synth if it is not GM capable (most are) but usually they pepper the files with resets and unwanted cc7 or cc11 volume impacting commands - as in they fade out, but when you edit you forget the initial fade in!

Good for that answer. He took me out of despair.
Hope he can fix it. I remembered years ago recording these files with Cakewalk Pro 9 and there in the same track changed the sound of the synthesizer with the function - "Patch Bank Change".
It may also be confusing now that it is a virus. It acts parasitically.

Please tell me which parameter changes this in this Cubase screen?
And how to get there. I have the old version of Cubase 7
I tried and failed. I was watching Youtube and couldn't find how to get there.

Last edited:
Hello,

Any chance you could attach the midi file you're having trouble with. You may need to ZIP it first.

I have a number of pieces of software that allow me to get into midi files, and the possibility of writing special progs as one-off for specific problems, but this is all DOS software that you may not be able to run. If I have the file, I can check it.

I can confirm that there is no virus or anything there, although this it VERY unlikely anyway as a midi file is pure data and no virus would bother to infect it. Even if it could.

One of the progs I have can convert a midi file to readable (and editable) text, and another prog can convert this text back to a midi file. I can send you back the readable file for your changes?

Otherwise I can raise questions about things that are in the file that might be causing your problems, and advise what you might look at with your own software.

It's up to you. Something like this may get you started along a more useful track?

Geoff

Good for that answer. He took me out of despair.
Hope he can fix it. I remembered years ago recording these files with Cakewalk Pro 9 and there in the same track changed the sound of the synthesizer with the function - "Patch Bank Change".
It may also be confusing now that it is a virus. It acts parasitically.

Please tell me which parameter changes this in this Cubase screen?
And how to get there. I have the old version of Cubase 7
I tried and failed. I was watching Youtube and couldn't find how to get there.

Highlight the track in the main window - then in the EDIT menu dropdown select LIST. You then get a text window like you can see. This is in every version of Cubase since 1996 when I started using it. You can also use a filter bar at the top - this lets you remove different types of event, so you can hide all the note data, which makes it easier to read. You can see every controller from a pitch bend, or a fade, or expression sequence and edit them manually. Sysex - is an art to itself. With XG and GS, you can even control special features. google Dummys guide to XG to see some of the crazy stuff you can do. The lines of code are manufacturer and even model specific sometimes, so it's possible a dodgy line of code could try to program a sound that your synth simply cannot do. Normally, the code would be rejected, but sometimes by bad luck, the corruption can open your synth for programming and send it weird info which it tries to implement. It isn't a virus, just a reprogramming. When I used to work with GS and XG I found that sending a guitar distortion and delay to the Roland, when it was meant for the Yamaha would freeze the Roland - it would simply stop working, needing a power cycle. If you downloaded a MIDI file from the net and it got copied and pasted it's easy to miss the sysex data. You delete the notes on screen, but NOT the data in that track. If you work with templates, then every project gets the dodgy data at the top! In cubase - suspect any track that appears with no title and is a bar long which appears to be empty. If you check these with the list editor, you may find the line of programming code. It could be just a reset - which was deemed good MIDI practice, but now if I download anything I have a quick look and delete it. The list editor also reveals copyright info too, if that has been hidden in a track.

Thanks a lot for the answer but. . . . .
Wow here will be difficult. I use Samplitude X3 and thought it would be easy with Cubase 7 LE, but no. I checked Trak and there is no LIST option in EDIT. There is no such option if I have the Piano Roll screen and also the right button. And I also tried to put a picture on the screen but it doesn't work. I also don't see the option to upload files . How do you upload photos?

I imported a Midi file. The problem is I can't get to the black edit screen. I have a Cubase 7 LE and I don't see that option in the Edit menu. I'll have to look for some TRIAL full version. on Cubase.

If you're used to Cubase - 10 artist is a good balance vs cost. Lots of really nice synths too!

If you're worried send me the cubase project file and I will have a look.

PS don't look at elements, that doesn't do list edit either.

Back