Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with MIDI keyboard, no signal in DAW.

Thanks

Exclamation Problems with MIDI keyboard, no signal in DAW.

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am a beginner in home recording. I've recently bought a new audio interface, the Tascam US-122MKII, to record audio, guitar and MIDI tracks. I've successfully recorded all but the latter. For some reason I can't get any signal from my keyboard in my recording software. I've also connected correctly the MIDI cables. I know that MIDI IN from my audio interface goes to MIDI OUT on my keyboard and vice-versa.

I've tried 3 DAW's, Reaper, Cubase and FL Studio 11, but with no avail. They're able to recognize that I have my audio interface connected, and I am able to record for example guitar with no problem, but no MIDI. If anyone could help me resolve this problem, I would really appreciated it. If possible, I liked to know how to do it with Reaper, because that's what I am currently using.

Useful info:
    Computer: PC, Windows 8.1
    Audio interface: Tascam US-122MKII
    MIDI Keyboard: Korg SP-250

Thanks in advance for all the help
    Last edited by Haiko; 01-02-2015 at 19:29.

Thanks
    Is there a driver you need to install?

Also, you might want to read the information on the right-hand side of the following web page, under the heading of "Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8":

YAMAHA Keyboard - Sound through the keyboard/computer
    Michael Rideout - Yamaha YPT-400/PSR-E433/PSR-E443/PSR-EW400/MX49BK; M-Audio Axiom 61-II
    Acoustica Mixcraft; PreSonus Studio One; Steinberg Cubase; etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGtGruff View Post
    Is there a driver you need to install?

Also, you might want to read the information on the right-hand side of the following web page, under the heading of "Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8":

YAMAHA Keyboard - Sound through the keyboard/computer
    Yes, I've installed the necessary drivers for my audio interface. I'm not sure if I have to install drivers for my keyboard. Also, I don't know what MIDI mapping is that they were talking about on the web page that you posted. Plus, it's about Yahama keyboards.

Thanks
    It doesn't matter that the web site is devoted to Yamaha keyboards-- the issue that section is talking about has to do with using MIDI in Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem, I just brought it up as something you might want to be aware of since you're using Windows 8.1 and MIDI. I use Windows 8.1, too, and have never had problems related to that issue-- but my keyboards have USB-MIDI ports and require that USB-MIDI drivers be installed on the computer. I do know that other people have been complaining for years about this particular issue with Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

This is normally handled by the drivers and apps. You shouldn't need to worry about a driver for the keyboard if it doesn't use USB-MIDI to connect; I meant the driver for the Tascam.

Have you set up the MIDI interface in the DAWs? (I would assume that you have, but you didn't specifically say.) See page 24 of the Reaper manual.
    Michael Rideout - Yamaha YPT-400/PSR-E433/PSR-E443/PSR-EW400/MX49BK; M-Audio Axiom 61-II

Thanks
    Sorry, double post.

Thanks
    I've already setup the MIDI interface just like it instructs in the Reaper manual. But I still don't have any signal when I try to record.
    Here, you can look at these couple of screen shots that I took to show my setup:

untitled-2-jpguntitled-3-jpguntitled-jpg

Thanks
    Hello haiko,
    Does the MIDI light on your interface blink when you play the keyboard? If not, there is no MIDI coming out of your keyboard, so you will need to enable MIDI transmission from your keyboard.
    If it does blink, try setting reaper to record ALL MIDI channels instead of just one, and see what happens.
    The free MIDI latency and jitter analyser app has been move to here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmmmqac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yep . . . try the midi settings on the keyboard.

Also, what is your source material when you are trying to record midi? Is it demo stuff on the keyboard, or are you playing something? If the former, then there's a chance that the demo tracks have midi output disabled (as I discovered once).

Thanks
    The SP-250 should power up with midi on and channel 1 selected. Gecko's right about the demo material not transmitting, so be sure to bang the keys...
    One thing we have not tried is reversing the cables. Take your out cable into the in and vice versa to see if there's a bad cable. (unlikely, but possible)
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmmmqac View Post
    Hello haiko,
    Does the MIDI light on your interface blink when you play the keyboard? If not, there is no MIDI coming out of your keyboard, so you will need to enable MIDI transmission from your keyboard.
    If it does blink, try setting reaper to record ALL MIDI channels instead of just one, and see what happens.
    On my Tascam the lights on MIDI IN blink red. When I press a key on the keyboard its just flashes red, when I release it blinks.

In reaper I've already tried recording on All channels and it didn't work.

Thread Information