Problems with MIDI keyboard, no signal in DAW.

Which driver did you install for the Tascam, and have you updated the firmware? A new Windows driver (version 2.05) was released last month, and there have been some firmware updates:

Product: US-122MKII | TASCAM

Edit: From the manual, it looks like there's a screen you can pull up in the Control Panel that shows the firmware and driver versions. Can you post a screenshot of that?

That's exactly the version I have installed.
Untitled 7.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I should have said to turn on the keyboard and the Tascam before checking what it says in the Control Panel, since it apparently won't show some of the settings unless the device is turned on.

I FOUND THE SOLUTION !!!

So with the help of those guys down in the Reaper forums, they helped me to partially fix my problem with the MIDI signal. So it turns out that I had to plug my Tascam into a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0 !! Now it works !! It was so frustrating. I tried so many things for like 2 weeks and in turn out to be as simple as changing a USB port. Now am able to see a signal in Reaper and I can finally record.

However, there are still some issues. First, for some reason, I can't hear my recording when I try to playback. Any other recording (e.g., vocals) I am able too. Second, whenever my computer goes to sleep or stays idles for some time, it seems Reaper loses the MIDI signal. So every time I have to: 1. Close the DAW 2. Unplug my Tascam and unplug my keyboard 3. Replug my tascam to my computer 4. Turn on my keyboard 5. Open Reaper. I have to repeat all these steps, in this order, every time Reaper loses the signal. It gets it little annoying, because it's tedious.

But, at least I was able to fix the problem with the MIDI signal. For the others issues, I am sure we will find the solutions.

One day, we will overcome all these problems and refocus our time and effort into making great music :)

Thanks for all the help guys, let's keep it !

Getting the sound out in Reaper is someone else' department.

AFA the second problem. Most people don't let their recording computers go to sleep: Start button-Control Panel-Power Options-Change Plan Settings-Put Computer To Sleep-Never. (assumes you've clicked the top right drop box and selected Small Icons) Otherwise: Start button-Control Panel-System and Security-(under Power Options) click Change when the computer sleeps-Put the computer to sleep-Never.

Hope that helps. You can change it back when you're not recording...

I'm glad you got it figured out! :)

Regarding the loss of signal, it's probably a good idea to temporarily turn off your screen saver or power-saving sleep mode if you're planning to do anything that won't involve moving the mouse or using the keyboard for a while-- i.e., if you're playing your keyboard and recording it, then if you're playing anything lengthy it's possible your computer will think that it's idle after so many minutes of the mouse or keyboard not being used.

As for not hearing anything when you play back the recording, you can't hear a MIDI track unless you've set the track to use a virtual instrument or other sound-generating device or program.

As for not hearing anything when you play back the recording, you can't hear a MIDI track unless you've set the track to use a virtual instrument or other sound-generating device or program.

This ^^^

You won't hear anything unless you give the midi something to play.

The two main ways of getting to here something are

1 to click on the FX button on the track and load a VSTi (if you have one).

2 to click on the track IO button, go to Midi hardware output, click on the down arrow and select the interface. This will send the midi back to your keyboard, and play whatever voices have been selected there.

This ^^^

You won't hear anything unless you give the midi something to play.

The two main ways of getting to here something are

1 to click on the FX button on the track and load a VSTi (if you have one).

2 to click on the track IO button, go to Midi hardware output, click on the down arrow and select the interface. This will send the midi back to your keyboard, and play whatever voices have been selected there.

What if I want to record the sounds coming out of my keyboard and then play them back, isn't that possible, or I have to always have a virtual instrument (VSTi) selected on my track for it to play sound ?

What if I want to record the sounds coming out of my keyboard and then play them back, isn't that possible, or I have to always have a virtual instrument (VSTi) selected on my track for it to play sound ?

1 Play your keyboard, using the sound you want.
2 Record the midi.
3 Mess around with the midi (e.g. fix up mistakes, add bits, take out bits)
4 Connect the keyboard's line outs to the interface.
5 Set up tracks in Reaper to record the audio
6 Select the interface as the output device and playback the midi in Reaper through this. It will play your keyboard, using whatever sounds are on the keyboard.
7 Hit record on Reaper and you will record the keyboard's audio.

Here is how I"ve been able to get basic synth into Reaper

I have had the same problem and as I understand it you have to import the vst sound files into the folder that Reaper uses for the midi sound files. Reaper needs a separate file for each sound or edit of sound it will incorporate into the effects patch. I have had a hard time with this in Reaper other then the most basic synth sounds.

your screen shots look good. You are missing this step.
In REAPER
select TRACK, INSERT VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT ON NEW TRACK, the [plugin screen for effects] will pop up, on this screen choose INSTRUMENTS, you may or may not see your installed synth files. REAPER has basic synth files, choose one
[VSTI:ReaSynth] is one of the Reaper listed sounds.
or any other one here. Some may work some may not work.

You can also do this with installing a new track then select effects and select from the INSTRUMENT VSTI selection available from the effects screen.

I use GARAGEBAND for my synth instruments as this is all done automatically in GARAGEBAND
I use GARAGEBAND for my synth instruments as this is all done automatically in GARAGEBAND.

hmmm . . . I am reasonably adept user of Reaper, but I did struggle a bit trying to figure out what you were saying.

I have had the same problem and as I understand it you have to import the vst sound files into the folder that Reaper uses for the midi sound files.

What do you mean by "vst sound file" and "midi sound file"? Both expressions are new to me. For the first, do you mean the VST's DLL file? It doesn't really matter where this goes, so long as in the Reaper options you point to where it is. It is sensible to put these DLLs all in one folder (e.g. VST plugins) so that they are all conveniently together (though mine to be scattered around a bit). For the latter, do you mean simply "midi file"? Midi is just data. There is no sound attached to it. Again, you can put this where you like, but it is sensible to put it where you are likely to find it again, for example in a folder dedicated to the song in which the midi is used.

Reaper needs a separate file for each sound or edit of sound it will incorporate into the effects patch. I have had a hard time with this in Reaper other then the most basic synth sounds.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the above.

your screen shots look good. You are missing this step.
In REAPER
select TRACK, INSERT VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT ON NEW TRACK, the [plugin screen for effects] will pop up, on this screen choose INSTRUMENTS, you may or may not see your installed synth files. REAPER has basic synth files, choose one
[VSTI:ReaSynth] is one of the Reaper listed sounds.
or any other one here. Some may work some may not work

You can also do this with installing a new track then select effects and select from the INSTRUMENT VSTI selection available from the effects screen.

One of the neat things about Reaper is that there are so many ways of doing things. I have yet to find a VST synth that doesn't work. Which ones didn't work for you?

This is getting awfully complicated. It sounds to me that all you want to do right now is record the audio from your Korg 250 (if this is incorrect, please ignore the rest of this post).

Haiko - If all you want to do is record your Korg's audio into Reaper and play it back - forgetting about all this midi-schmidi nonsense - just plug the audio output of your keyboard into an audio input on your interface, arm a Reaper track to record (r-click the record button to set up) hit the track "monitor" button, hit the 'record' button on the transport & you're off to the races.

Last edited:
Back