Potential 3 way MIDI setup doing my nut.

Smoulders

Hey Guys!

Quick question about a potential MIDI setup, which I may be attempting, as I am not sure if I have this totally right.

Heres the kit .

Korg X3 controlling a Novation KS rack module (THe Korg is purely used as a controller, nothing else).

Alesis DM Pro Drum Module, controlled by an electronic set.

I have a 2 in 2 out MIDI interface. The plan is to have everything connected up so that I can effortlessly switch from recording MIDI via my drums (controlling the DM pro) to recording MIDI via the Korg, (controlling the Novation Module, amongst other soft synths).

Here is how I would connect it up:

2in/2out interface plugged into computer via USB.

MIDI out of Korg controller into MIDI In of KS Rack
MIDI Thru of KS Rack to MIDI input A on interface. I am guessing this would have to be through the Thru of the KS Rack as the Korg MIDI data would not be sent out of the Out of the KS Rack. However hopefully I am wrong on this as the KS Rack can transmit MIDI data through all knobs and faders, but I would not be able to transmit this through the Thru (man this is complicated!)

Then, MIDI output A on the interface would connect to the IN of the Korg which would then pass data through to the KS Rack via Thru (I am hoping this would be able to transmit all MIDI data coming back from Cubase to the KS rack even though the Korg itself might not have a controller for any given parameter).

Finally, the DM Pro would simply connect from its out to the input B of the interface and Output B of the interface to the in of the DM Pro, that bits easy (The drums trigger the DMPro via Mono Jack Leads).

The complication here, is how to be able to control the KS Rack with the Korg, but also send the KS Racks own MIDI data (extra knob twiddles) even though it is connected to the interface via its Thru port. IS the answer going to be having a 3 way interface? or have I got the whole Thru or Out thing wrong.

I hope this makes at least some sense and any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cheers mate.

Im still a bit confused though as its almost as if the KS Rack would need a second MIDI input or something. If I had a third input on the MIDI interface then I could send the MIDI out of the KS Rack into that for all knob twiddles etc but what about getting the MIDI information back to the KS rack from Cubase. Cubase's MIDI goes into the interface and then out, into the IN of the Korg (obviously not the in of the KS because that is in use via the Korg).

As far as I knew incoming MIDI data to the Korg can only be passed to the KS via the MIDI Thru port on the Korg, but again, the KS only has 1 MIDI input. I cant connect the Thru port of the KORG to the KS because then (as far as I know) it is only MIDI received at the In port of the Korg that will be sent, not MIDI played in real time.

As you can see although I thought my MIDI knowledge was getting there, it appears to not be the case.

I am still awaiting the interface and the KS, so perhaps I just need to try it all out when they get here.

Cheers.

What you really need is a more capapable controller keyboard so it can be plugged straight into the computer and the midi controllers that it transmits can be recorded to the sequencer and passed onto the KS module.

In this configuration you would plug the new keyboard controller straight into input A on your interface, midi out A into the KS module and then leave the Alesis drum setup as is.

You could probably trade the Korg straight up for a nice controller, and you'd be much better off. Here are a few examples of more capable controllers - one, two and three . Number three is recommended.

Thanks scientist.

Thats definately an interesting option, which I can fullly see the benefits of. However controllling parameters on the KS with the knobs, faders etc on a new improved controller keyboard would be a shame as one of the beauties of the KS is its intuitive design with loads of knobs etc. Really I spose what I am trying to acheive is simply trigger the KS with the Korg, which still has pitch bend, modwheel and good aftertouch, but also send any parameter changes that occur directly on the KS (knob turns etc) to the computer as well via MIDI (as well as the note information triggered on the Korg sent out via the KS's Thru).

Sorry to be a pain in the ass and thanks for the advice.

Would those kind of changes directly on the KS also be sent out of its MIDI thru in which case I guess everything would be fine (I was under the impression that MIDI information generated directly on that module or keyboard was only passed out of the out and not the thru).

ta

Smoulders said:
Sorry to be a pain in the ass and thanks for the advice.
That's OK. There's more than one way to skin a midi cat and that suggestion was the best one I could think of.

MIDI thru in
There's no such thing. It's a midi thru out, and no parameters are transmitted through it...you are right when you say that midi info generated by the device is only transmitted by the midi out.

Again, thanks for your input. 'When I said MIDI Thru in' I left out a comma after the thru as it should have been 'MIDI Thru, in which case'.

Anyway, i'l let you know what I come up when the unit arrives and no doubt pick your brains about more MIDI issues along the way!

Thanks again

Back