Possibly dumb midi rookie question

mcmac74

Hey

So I've written a midi track in bandlab using a string synth of some sort. I now want to experiment with different sounds of vsts in my DAW for said midi track. Is it as easy as exporting midi file to my DAW (reaper) and then just applying effects and virtual instuments?....or am I going to experience issues with wrong notes, octaves etc...essentially I'm asking if an e# ( or any note obviously) will sound the same in midi whichever vst instument is used?

Thanks
Mark

Export the midi from bandcamp. Import into Reaper. Add a VSTi to the track. Change as often as you want. The length, duration and pitch of notes should not be affected.

Not sure what you're thinking of, but there IS a little proviso regarding pitch.

Some instruments may well have a pitch modification built-in to their setup, so if you assign a specific set of notes to one instrument and then change the instrument to another instrument that has such a modification then you will hear a change. The change may well be 'natural' for the instrument, therefore it should not be a problem for you? I'd guess?

Geoff

Not sure what you're thinking of, but there IS a little proviso regarding pitch.

Some instruments may well have a pitch modification built-in to their setup, so if you assign a specific set of notes to one instrument and then change the instrument to another instrument that has such a modification then you will hear a change. The change may well be 'natural' for the instrument, therefore it should not be a problem for you? I'd guess?

Geoff

I guessed that might be the case but I'll hopefully have plenty to choose from that don't have any such mods. ?

Geoff

There are always little provisos to take into account.

You've mentioned pitch. Another is note duration, which depends on the nature of instrument being used. So a kalimba will always play a short note, no matter how long the midi note actually is.

The main point is that midi data is dumb . . . it is simply a set of instructions, and the nature of the VST determines how those instructions are followed.

Back