PMA-5 Not Functioning as Sound Module

nintendoeats

I just borrowed a Roland PMA-5 and I thought it would be interesting to experiment with it as a cheap alternative to something like an SC-55. I bought a Roland UM-ONE mk2 for this purpose. I have zero MIDI hardware experience, so this is a learning process for me.

After quite a bit of fiddling and going through the manual, I am unable to make it play anything from the MIDI-in. I can output MIDI from the PMA-5 and record it on my, PC, but I cannot then play the recording back the other way. The output light on the USB interface lights up so I don't think the issue is on the PC side. I'm just not getting any indication that the PMA is able to see the incoming MIDI signal no matter how I map the channels, what mode it's in or what Device ID I use (which I don't think is relevant here anyway). Every other part of the PMA works.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My apologies, this was not a software problem. The input midi connector is actually loose in the circuit board, I can make it play if I hold it in the correct position. Never mind me!

Back