PC sequencing vs Beat Machine sequencing

I-AM

Hello All,

I have definately gone through different stages in my very short music history. At one time I did most of my sequencing through my computer. But I had problems when I went to try and record as I think my computer wasn't fast enough to send out the MIDI messages to my instruments and then trying to record the data at the same time.
Currently I am sequencing my arrangements with a MC303 Groovebox, but would eventually like to go back to using the computer (as it is easy to edit parameters and etc. by visually seeing what is going on with each track).
A few questions before I go spend a lot of money.
I am fine with sequencing with my groovebox, yet syncing all my instruments together to it is fairly hard-or I don't quite get it. I would like to link up my Alesis QS6.1, Yamaha lite piano, and groovebox all together. Let me explain a little more in detail. Unfortunately I spilled something on my Alesis keyboard (ARGH!!!!) so the only way I can play it is by controlling it with my Yamaha (Which only has 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out). So is it accurate to go YAMAHA MIDI out to Alesis MIDI in and then if I want the Groovebox to record and play the data only on the Alesis would I go from the Alesis MIDI out to the Groovebox MIDI in and from the Groovebox MIDI out to the Alesis thru? (since the thru will basically be a duplicate of what the MIDI in is?) If so then good-if not do I need some sort of MIDI patchbay that can make this happen?
Next question, Let's say I get a faster computer-around 850-1.2 GHZ and I want to link everything up to the computer for visual MIDI editing and arranging. In this case, I will definately need a MIDI patchbay... right? I would physically play the music parts through the Yamaha which would be controlling the Alesis, and for drums I would use the Groovebax. But how do I set up the groovebox to only receive or respond to a certain channel. I have tried this before and it respnds to every channel. And would this new computer be fast enough to play back MIDI data and record digital data?
I know this was long winded, but I hope that I didn't lose any of you. I appreciate any ideas.

Thank You.

I-AM said:
I am fine with sequencing with my groovebox, yet syncing all my instruments together to it is fairly hard-or I don't quite get it. I would like to link up my Alesis QS6.1, Yamaha lite piano, and groovebox all together. Let me explain a little more in detail. Unfortunately I spilled something on my Alesis keyboard (ARGH!!!!) so the only way I can play it is by controlling it with my Yamaha (Which only has 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out). So is it accurate to go YAMAHA MIDI out to Alesis MIDI in and then if I want the Groovebox to record and play the data only on the Alesis would I go from the Alesis MIDI out to the Groovebox MIDI in and from the Groovebox MIDI out to the Alesis thru? (since the thru will basically be a duplicate of what the MIDI in is?) If so then good-if not do I need some sort of MIDI patchbay that can make this happen?

I can only help with the first question as I don't sequence with a PC.

My understanding is that the MC-505 is your sequencer, the Yamaha is you controller and the Alesis is your soundsource. Hopefully I got that right.

The only way I can see that working is if you took the MIDI Out from the Yamaha to the MIDI In on the Alesis and MIDI Thru the Alesis to the MIDI IN on the MC. That will work for recording but not for playing back.

The Yamaha doesn't have a Thru? Then it looks like you'll need a patchbay or thru box unless you want to repatch for playback. The MIDIMan Thru 3x8 is what I have ($50) and does a real good job, but no PC interface. 3 inputs and 8 outputs.

With that box you'd need to connect the MIDI outs from the MC and Yamaha to the MIDI Ins on the Thru box (for this example we'll say the MC is input A and the Yamaha is input B). You'd only need to connect the Alesis and MC Ins to 2 of the MIDI Outs on the thru box (Alesis will be #1 and MC #2).

There are switches on the front panel to assign which output is assigned to which input. Output #1 (Alesis) will be receiving from Input A (MC). Output #2 (MC) will be receiving from Input B (Yamaha). Now you'll be able to play and record without repatching.

Hope this helps.

Stray

Man, I get a little bit confuse reading your post... :D sounds like very complicated. But IMHO, if you have only 3 external MIDI devices, then not so hurry to worry about the connections. It's not that hard to do. First, what will the MIDI interface be ? The more it has MIDI ins/outs port, easier you will work on them.

Second, what will you use as the sequencer program in your PC ? Any Cakewalk products (including SONAR off course) let you controll routing channels from within. I mean you can have only one input, and be sent to several output at once, or just one output. Try the demo first, and soon you'll answer your own question easy. Go back if you have further Q...

;) :cool:

I-AM said:
Currently I am sequencing my arrangements with a MC303 Groovebox, but would eventually like to go back to using the computer (as it is easy to edit parameters and etc. by visually seeing what is going on with each track).
A few questions before I go spend a lot of money.

...So now you have :

1. Alesis QS6.1 --> only as a sound generator, NOT a controller.

2. YAMAHA Lite Piano --> as a controller AND sound generator.

3. GrooveBox --> Record and play your MIDI work.

Am I right ?

Then use this connection..

Yamaha MIDI out --> GrooveBox MIDI IN.

GrooveBox MIDI Out --> Alesis MIDI IN.

Alesis MIDI Thru --> Yamaha MIDI IN

Next question, Let's say I get a faster computer-around 850-1.2 GHZ and I want to link everything up to the computer for visual MIDI editing and arranging. In this case, I will definately need a MIDI patchbay... right? I would physically play the music parts through the Yamaha which would be controlling the Alesis, and for drums I would use the Groovebax. But how do I set up the groovebox to only receive or respond to a certain channel. I have tried this before and it respnds to every channel. And would this new computer be fast enough to play back MIDI data and record digital data?

Sorry, I dunno any of these devices, but I guess in PC running SONAR, you'll have more controll of your devices. Any PII and above PC will do MIDI just great!! You know what...? My MIDI sequencer PC is only Pent 233 running the old ancient Cake Pro 3, and do just great for sequencing MIDI. I transfer then the data to my main DAW (PIII 866 running SONAR) to do soundfont & Audio then. You'll want a multi I/O MIDI port for even better if you want avoid MIDI patchbay.

www.markoftheunicorn.com

:cool:
Jaymz.

Re: Re: PC sequencing vs Beat Machine sequencing

James Argo said:
[BThen use this connection..

Yamaha MIDI out --> GrooveBox MIDI IN.

GrooveBox MIDI Out --> Alesis MIDI IN.

Alesis MIDI Thru --> Yamaha MIDI IN

I may be wrong here, it wouldn't be the first time, but as far as I can tell this setup wouldn't work for this purpose. I-Am was looking to have the Yamaha control the Alesis and record the sequence in the GrooveBox.

In the setup you mentioned the GrooveBox would be controlling the Alesis. So I-Am would have to play the Yamaha into the GrooveBox using the sounds from the GrooveBox or Yamaha and then on playback would be able to output to the Alesis. I guess that would work if I-Am could work around that limitation.

Am I seeing this wrong? Please let me know if so.

Stray

Thank You James and Stray,

For the ideas that were given it gave me a lot to work with and James that setup did work!
And stray you are right, it is a limitation as I can't here exactly what I am playing from the alesis until it has been recorded into the Groovebox- which is not a big deal but sometimes the characteristics of the Alesis sounds I want to use; you really have to hear how there are performing until you switch a chord and etc....
So...now that I know that MIDI does work (even with my limited knowledge and equipment) would you suggest I get the MIDIMAN 3x8? And I don't recall it being 50 bucks Stray...try 90-100$. If you know where I can find for 50 I would save the rest and get good monitors-hehehe.
Now that I know that this setup works.... If I were to try and do this type of setup but with a computer....Well let's here...I would definately need the MIDIMAN 3x8 huh?

Thanks for all the help!

I-AM said:
And I don't recall it being 50 bucks Stray...try 90-100$. If you know where I can find for 50 I would save the rest and get good monitors-hehehe.
Now that I know that this setup works.... If I were to try and do this type of setup but with a computer....Well let's here...I would definately need the MIDIMAN 3x8 huh?

Thanks for all the help!

Oops, you're right. I forgot I got mine at Guitar Center through a salesman I know and got it at wholesale. FYI, the list on those is $99.99 and they're available pretty much anywhere for $79.99.

The 3x8 is not for use with computers though, it's just a standalone box. I can't recommend any PC MIDI interfaces because I haven't used any.

Stray

Back