Noise from keys and sustain pedal while recording

Zak Biel

Dear Midi Mania Experts,

I have just started using my Roland FP30 as a MIDI keyboard and I have come across a problem I am unable to solve.
I plug the FP30 into my Macbook Pro via USB. I use The Gentleman Piano plug-in from Kontakt (Native Instruments) in Studio One Professional. Now, I am able to record everything perfectly but when I listen to the track I hear noises. They appear every single time I release the keys or sustain pedal. I have tried different sustain pedals and the noises are still there. I have tried to unplug the power cord from my mac but the crackling noises are still there when I release the keys.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I could easily go back to recording audio from my FP30 but I am searching for a more refined piano sound hence using plug-ins.

I've had some issues with noise from the USB bus not having enough power to run everything connected on the busses. Usually the noise was only on the output and not recorded so you might check that. Also you might try plugging the keys into a powered USB hub, sometimes that will get rid of noise. I don't use that DAW so I cant help much in that department but if you can record just a midi performance then play that through Kontakt to a track then you might also eliminate any interface/bus noise

What sort of noises? Crackling seems very strange on note offs, and the sustain release. Can you post a sample of it for us to hear?

Is that clipping right at the first attack? What's the peak level you're recording at?

(Could be a resource problem, too, but I have no idea what you're doing would tax the system.)

Yes, that's one of them. Then when I release the keys, every single time I hear them. Peak level 0db.
I've tried recording the track and then bouncing it but the noises are still there.
So I have disconnected everything else from the laptop and I tried again and the problem remains. Then I have tried a totally different plugin and to my surprise there wasn't any noise. I am assuming there is something wrong with the setting of Kontakt then.
I'll keep trying until I find a solution, otherwise I'll get a different plugin for my piano.

Problem solved. I am using a different vst and there are no noises coming from it. But also, I started the project from the scratch in my DAW and that probably helped too..
I have come across this promotional video of the piano vst I have been using: Komplete : Keys : The Gentleman | Products

and right at the beginning when you watch it, you can hear similar noises. Perhaps they are intended to be there.
Anyways, thank you guys for your suggestions.

Were you using a Demo version? Just curious. I remember reading something about some of the VI's for piano adding modeled pedal noise for "realism". I assume it would be de-selectable. I don't have that VI, but all of my Kontakt stuff is noise free.

Back