No MIDI playback...

jman1986

hey ok i am running pro tools m-powered 7.3 and i am trying to ge tmy MIDI drums to work, i have a roland td-3sw kit, and an m-audio audiophile 2496 PCI audio card. I have my drums all pluged in through the midi ports and everything, they recorded down but i can't hear them back. I no that MIDI is only dat, but i don't no how to get the audio.

so all i did so far was create just one MIDI track, not sure what else tracks to create (AUX track, Insturment track?) and also should i have both cables going in and out of the MIDI device into the audio card on my computer?

any suggestions to why no sound?

thanks!

haha i have already, and of course doesn't realy make any sense to me, I don't have a manual for pro tools thou, i think i just need something smal to fix the problem but not sure... i got the channels set, the "locked off" set, but just no sound...

Do you have the audio outputs of the td-3sw plugged into anything? Volume turned up? Channels un-muted?

Don

hey don, no i don't i just have the Midi cable running out of the "out" on the unit and into the "in" of the Midi end of the PCI card.

hey don, no i don't i just have the Midi cable running out of the "out" on the unit and into the "in" of the Midi end of the PCI card.

You need to have both the in and out connected to computer. Midi only goes one way so if you want playback, you need to have both directions connected.

You also need the audio out connected to something, how else do you expect to hear anything?

ok so i did that now, i have 2 midi cables, going out of the "out" and "in" of the td-3 unit, and into the "in" and "out" of the midi on the 24/96 pci card. and then out of the audio outputs of the td-3 unit they are going into my mixer, and then out of the mixer and into the PCI card. now i have tryed a few diferent ways with sample tank to get them to play, got them to work butthe souns are all off. i just want to have the sounds from the td-3 kit play into pro tools.

OK, so you've recorded MIDI data from the TD-3 into ProTools, and now you want to play that MIDI data back through the TD-3. It sounds like you have everything plugged in correctly. Is the TD-3 set to receive on the same MIDI channel that the PT track is sending on, and on the correct interface (i.e., the 2496)?

Don

no that is what I am not sure about either, should I have them the same output, meaning the same in and out so I can hear the playback. but I don't want to hear the playback through the td-3. just through pro tools

Well, something has to make the drum sounds!

Correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think you're trying to record the MIDI performance data from the TD-3 into PT, right? Then, when you play back, the MIDI data goes where? It has to go to something that can use the MIDI data to make drum sounds. That might be the TD-3, an old TR505, or Drumkit From Hell, to name a few examples.

So, does the TD-3 have some kind of indicator that shows it's receiving MIDI data when you press Play in PT? If so, just connect the audio output from the TD-3 to the inputs of the 2496, and route those inputs to a PT bus. Then you should be in business.

Don

That would be a way to know for sure that it's working (meaning, the MIDI sequence is triggering the TD-3). But if you want to put the drum sounds into your mix, you'll have to run the TD-3 audio outputs into a ProTools bus.

Don

The bus would be for INPUT, to get the sound from the drum machine into your mix. I'm a little fuzzy on how ProTools works (haven't used it in ages), but I think that's how it's done.

Don

hey don, ok it still isn't working and i hate it, lol

i have the MIDI in and out coming out and going in of the td-3 module into the In and Out (MIDI) of the PCI card in my computer.

then i have coming out of the outputs (L and R) of audio from the td-3 module into my mixer, (2 TRS cables), then RCA OUT of my mixer into the RCA in and of my pci card.

I can hear the drums fine and everything, when i go to record the drum track it looks like it records, the level is going up and down fine, and track the midi notes are even recording. (i'm doing everything on one insturment track because i heard it was easier haha...)

So when i go to hear it back after recording it, nothing is there, the notes are still on the insturment track, but no audio. And the level doesn't even come up.

Then i tried playing with a patch, (have no clue what that is and it did the same thing as described above)

i am not sure what to try next.

Sounds like you have recorded midi data in ProTools already. based on that:
Does ProTools know that you are using a TD-3SW?

Other software packages I've used work this way:
They do (or can be set to) listen to midi on all channels (omni). This makes it easy to get your midi data in/recorded.

Playback can be more complicated. Playback (as mentioned previously in the thread) is typically on a specific channel. It will often send program bank data as well. Here's where it's good if your software knows what device you have. It "knows" this via an instrument definition file that enumerates the banks and patches. If you know the numbers, you can set it without a def. file, but it's much easier with one. Then you need figure out what channel the midi device is listening on and set the software to send on that channel. Typically drums are channel 10, but that doesn't have to be the case. Check the config options on the Roland then set the appropriate channel in Protools.

You might be able to completely ignore the program bank/patch info by simply setting the Roland where you want it. This means that any time you use this track, you have to remember what patch you used on the Roland and set it there.

Hope this helps.

Back