New midi system cableing

RICK FITZPATRICK

Hello, I'm a newbe to this forum, and I'm not extremly literate when it comes to midi, but I figure this is the place with answers. I have my entire system de-cabled, and am ready to install new cableing as I integrate new and used equipment and update my system. and integrate digital into it.Here is the crux of my inquiry.
My system is comprised of (2) Tascam MSR-16trk ATR's, which I have interfaced with a MTS-1000 midiizer. I plan on synching the ATR's with the following items, but I am no expert when it comes to midiizing a large system. I'm trying to found out what goes to what etc Heres a description of the potential items in the midi system:

Midiizer- 2 midi in's, 2 midi outs, and a PPQ out. Sempe from tape machines
Optcode 128 midi interface - 8 midi ins/outs
2 generic keyboards-standard midi ins/outs
Roland TR-626 Rythm composer Standard midi ins/outs-8 analog outs. Some other types of synch outputs/inputs, but I'm not familiar with these.
Tascam TM-D1000 Digital mixer(The tape machines are interfaced with a Studiomaster
20/8/2 analog board.) Do I integrate the DM into the midi system?
Lexicon Studio Core 32 System with LDT-10t (I don't know if this unit is using midi, but
has word clock outs? and other synch ins/outs.
3 FX units with midi ins/outs(How do you get the FX units to change patches with a sequencer?)
Computer with an existing midiman 2 interface/soundblaster(I assume the soundblaster will be replaced by the Studio Core 32 pci card? And does the midiman 2 stay in for the midi interface? Or is it replaced by the Studio 128?
I have lots of software programs, but plan on using Cubase, as the lexicon is designed with this software in mind. However, Sonar may work as well. Any ideas?
I beleive the Studio 128 is like a midi patchbay as well as an interface, but I'm in the dark. I have all the manuals to these items. But none of them really tells how to cable
a system to this extent. I've read midi books, and that has clarified some questions, however theres nothing like expertize. Getting my feet wet on midi as well as digital audio, but I want the analog integrated with it. Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.
fitz:confused:

damn, that's a lot of midi gear if you dont know what you are doing. I dont even know where to begin.

You need to decide what you want to accomplish and what your different devices are capable of. Start hooking stuff up to the best of your ability and come back here to help refine things. Do you have any more specific questions that would help you get started?

Thats what I thought

Ok, thanks alot, sounds good. I guess I'm kind of bewildered. Main thing is to get the midiizer/, and (1)- 16 trk working with the sequencer, rhthym composer. I am getting ready to stripe my first timecode track with the midiizer. Are you familliar with this item. Its really a unique tool. But this is for fun in my personal studio. And I've never done this before, so its a little intimidating. I'm a guitarist, not a keyboard player so MIDI has not been in my tool box. Although I am planning on upgrading my guitar system to MIDI. But thats another story. Ok, I'll get this togeather, piece by peice, test by test tillI get myself into a dark corner. Then I'll ask. However something just occured to me. Its SEMPTE timecode on the 16 trk that synchs the sequencer, right. Where does the MIDI fit in, as far as the midiizer is concerned? Thats got me a little confused. I know the midiizer changes SEMPTE to MIDI something but .... what the hell is going on here. I've read the manuals, but jeees'...thats a lot to remember. LOL
fitz:)

okay, I can handle that question.

SMPTE is an audio track that has time code data. It actually sounds like a high pitched squeel if you listen to it. The Midizer (not familliar with that piece) probably converts SMPTE to MIDE Time Code.

You need to "stripe" a track on your 16trk with SMPTE. This means you run the audio/SMPTE output into the multitrack and simply record the signal at a good level (exactly 0db if possible). Make sure you give some space before you start the SMPTE so that 00.00.00 is recorded cleanly.

Then when you play that track and run it back into the midizer it will convert that audible SMPTE track to a digital MIDI Time Code (MTC) track that any MIDI sequencer or DAW can follow.

The Analog multitrack will be your Master and the Digital Midi gear will slave to that MTC signal.

With that much gear, you really need either to hire a knowledgeable tech or read and learn for the next year. Here is one source of info on MIDI -

http://www.studiocovers.com/articles10.htm

There are others, just do a google search on MIDI, and follow your nose.

"semte" may be how it sounds, but it is spelled SMPTE, and stands for Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers - They are the organization that originated the type of time code you are referring to. Now, SMPTE usually refers to that time code, and not the group that originated the spec. MTC stands for Midi Time Code, which is a MIDI-compatible version of SMPTE code. Most MIDI patch bays have the capability of interfacing real SMPTE to and from a tape machine, and converting to/from Midi Time Code for computer software.

If you don't know whether a device has MIDI or not, you definitely need more study. It would be obvious to you if you were ready to take on such a complex system. (hint - look for some 5-pin "DIN" connectors, labeled Midi In, Out, or Thru)

There's no such thing as a free lunch, so you'll either need to study a lot or hire a tech. Going the study route is cheaper, more time consuming, but more satisfying - especially at 3 in the morning, when there's a problem and you're in the middle of a cool song idea and don't want to stop, but "techs-are-us" is closed for the weekend, but you REALLY want to keep going, etc... I've seen your posts, and even replied to some of them on the Tascam site. I thought then that you might be getting over your head, now I'm sure of it. My best advice to you is to slow down, learn about one thing at a time, follow your nose to study materials on the web, and learn to walk before you fly. What you're trying to do is possible, probably 10 different ways - It's just not going to happen all at once, and if you intend to keep it a hobby (not paying someone else to do it) then it's just a matter of hooking up just enough gear to get something working, learn how it works, expand one piece at a time and learn about that, etc. - As long as a person has no obvious brain dysfunctions, this is something that can be learned. Trying to learn it all in one post, however, is not doable by a human.

Sounds like you have most of the gear you need, now you need to study a lot. I doubt if anyone here has the time to figure out your entire system for you, but the more you learn about what you have, the less you'll need us.

Parts of this may have sounded like I'm picking on you, but that's not the intent. Sometimes the obvious ISN'T obvious until someone states it. For example, watching someone else do something that they've studied years to accomplish, ALWAYS looks easy. Then you try it for yourself, and discover it isn't so easy after all. The difference is the time spent on learning all the new skills that went into making it look easy. People on BBS's can help you with smaller, specific problems if they are familiar with the gear you have, but they CAN'T STUDY FOR YOU. Again, I'm not picking on you, just stating a fact of life.

Keep reading, and as you come across terms/operations that don't make sense, ask specific questions, or do a search on that phrase, or both. You'll get there, it just needs to happen one step at a time... Steve

Back