MusicTime/MuzicTime faulty disk

A friend of mine has a program called MusicTime (on the disk, it is spelled MuzicTime, if I recall....) that he uses to compose, and then play his compositions back through a hardware sound module. The program seems to span three floppy disks, with the installation stuff on disk one. He upgraded his computer, went to re-install MusicTime, and found that his computer could not read anything off disk one - though disks two and three seemed to be fine. Seems disk one is defective, or has become so since it was last used.

It is a version from, like, 1994 for PC, and he ran it on both Windows 95 and Windows 98. Does the company still distribute the program? Does anyone know if they would be able (or perhaps willing) to send him a replacement for disk one? Any other suggestions?

Chris

That program is almost obselete. I would recommend that he dumps it and gets a more up-to-date sequencing program.
I used to have MusicTime Deluxe on a CD, but I think I trashed it.

Yeah, I know it has its limitations, and that there are better products out there. He happens to like that program, though. He's not against trying something else, but he has a bunch of things he composed that are sitting on his hard drive that he can't access. If nothing else, he would like to get it installed so that he can open up his existing files, save them as midi files, and then import them into whatever other program he might happen to get.

Chris

Thanks! I'll check that link out. I did a google search before and didn't come up with a retailer/distributor/manufacturer site. Hopefully this will help.

Chris

Ouch Chris !!! $119
I think I only paid about $20 for it 5 or 6 years ago....what a rip off !!
If I still had that CD I would have gave it to ya free...bummer.

Muzictime

I also simply loved Muzictime for it's simplicity and have the same issue where I cannot playback my old MUS files. I have the floppies, but the second disk is damaged. The first setup disk works fine. If your friend is still interested, we can swap copies. Let me know. Thanks.

John

REgarding the recent poster with the floppy that will not read..

Please note that the disk MIGHT be OK, it's just that your machine.drive might not read it. Down to alignment? May be worth trying the disk on another machine, numerous other machines that have the right type of drive. You might find one that WILL read the disk. If you do, then use that machine to make a copy of the disk (onto a clean/virgin second disk).

Another useful thing with the disk that will not install, try to copy the disk using DOS. Copy A:*.* B:. This should tell you which files have problems. When you get the message Error reading (R)etry (I)gnore etc, do a few retry, then Ignore to get right through. Some files may not be vital, some files may not be needed at all, some indiv files might be 'sourced' elsewhere even if the disk as a whole cannot.

What sort of disk are you trying? What sort (spec) of drive are you using?

Geoff

The disk error might be one small bit of the disk.

Last edited:
Back