Midisoft 4.0 and Windows 7 HP 64b

LouH648

This is my first post here so hello to all.
Recently I decided it was time to upgrade from XP to Windows 7. I had trial run it in dual boot with XP to make sure that all of my recording tools worked and I remember that there was no issues at that time. So now I have a clean install of 7 and have reinstalled all of my recording software and everything is working fine, accept Midisoft. There seems to be a driver lacking and when I choose to turn midimapper off it tells me that I need to install a driver in control panel. From there I cannot select the output ports and it won't even let me play a file because of the driver issue. In XP I was able to select the default midi port and that solved that. No such luck in 7 as MS seems to have done away with this feature in its sound settings control window. I have tried everything I can think of and everything I have found online including registry changes and have even trialed out a good number of alternative sequencing software titles but there is nothing like the simplicity of Midisoft on the market today. So is there something I can still do here to get Midisoft up and running? I would be open to an alternative that I'm not aware of yet that will give me a score view, an event list view, and a channel mixer with the basics of panning, mute, solo, and record? I haven't seen it yet but maybe someone here has. Any help is appreciated, I enjoy working with technology but these days it's more about getting something out of it rather than be tied up trying to get it to work.

AMD quad core & 4GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 2496
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Is there a 64bit driver you can download for it?? I have never heard of midisoft, though I'm not much of a midi expert. When I googled it, I found some weird download sites that I didn't want to click on.

Well, here's the thing about Midisoft. The original release was written for Windows 3.1, version 4 was a 32 bit release that came out around the time of Windows 95. I haven't had much of a problem continuing to use it through the years and various OS's although in XP I ran it in Windows 95 compatibility mode. I heard somebody got it to work with Vista but I completely passed on that OS. I think the company that originally produced the software has been out of business for quite some time so there is definitely not a 64 bit driver for it. I have tried LoopB1 and one other midi driver type install but it didn't recognize it. I don't get it, I haven't had to use a driver thus far, only had to select a default midi port as the software has simply worked with whatever default port that was available. Nobody is bothering with writing a driver for this dinosaur software anyhow and that's a shame because I find it to be so easy to use and I can write some awesome drums with it. All of the views for various functions are simple and laid out in a sensible manner so the learning curve is easy. Somehow midi software has moved beyond that and has become overly complicated IMO. I spend more time trying to figure out how to use it than getting any input/output going. Oh and I know what you mean about the sites, yeah you are right to stay out of most of them, they have nothing to do whatsoever with Midisoft. I have had my copy since about 97-98.

Yup, you switched from 32bit to 64bit, you need new drivers. No one is going to write a new driver for software from a company that has been out of business.

Time to update to the 21st century and find a new program that does what you want.... whatever that is. ;)

If you're looking for an easy way to do midi drums, then look at EZDrummer. It's not complicated at all. I should know, I got it to work right out of the box.

peace,

I've encountered the same problems with some software I used with Windows 98 Second Edition. Can't find drivers for it and still consider it better than what I replaced it with. But what are you going to do? LOL!

I haven't tried that but the drivers i have loaded are there. They're just not working. I don't think that the software, which is an older 32 bit, recognizes 64 bit drivers.

I know, I have been looking to be sure. The best program that closely resembles it is some Japanese midi sequencing software that works fine and talks to my DR-5 without any difficulty. It's not too old and seems to work with 7 without a hitch. It just amazes me that the software has to get so damn complicated with all sorts of windows to hop through. It shouldn't have to be that way. Yeah, it's nice to have complete and total control over every nuance but I'd settle for simpler any day. I'll look into EZdrummer too. Thanks for the replies.

That was about as far as my computer knowledge goes. If you see them in Device Manager then it means they really aren't working. I thought maybe they weren't installed. Wish I could have helped you out.

UPDATE:
After some experimentation I have been able to resolve this problem using an initialization file, .ini, that the software uses for all of the settings. So now that it's working I want to be able to refine it to make it easier. This probably won't involve any fore knowledge of the said program but has more to do with the default midi output device. I have tried changing the default in the .ini file mentioned above and it will say that A is the Delta AP Midi driver but the sound output is clearly the MS GS Wavetable crap output. I have also edited the registry and set the Delta AP Midi as the default port as instructed by several online sources but it doesn't work. What I'd really like to know is if anyone knows how it can be totally removed from windows. A complete removal of it might just do it.

default port selection.jpg

Last edited:
SOLVED!
I have finally found a fix to this problem. Using Putzlowitsch's Vista MIDI Mapper (can't put the url in as I haven't posted atleast 10 posts...sorry) I was able to set the default port. Note, the directions say to put the applet in the windows/system32 folder...Win 7 64 users should put it in the sysWOW64 folder. Then go to control panel and click on it, then select your default port. I had to also do the extra step of reorganizing the ports by numerical order in the .ini file of the sequencer software and that was that! Now all of my midi files use the new default port. Back to making music again!!

Yup, you switched from 32bit to 64bit, you need new drivers. No one is going to write a new driver for software from a company that has been out of business.

Time to update to the 21st century and find a new program that does what you want.... whatever that is. ;)

If you're looking for an easy way to do midi drums, then look at EZDrummer. It's not complicated at all. I should know, I got it to work right out of the box.

peace,
Midisoft studio 4 (32bit version) may run on x64 host.
You need copy mmsystem.dll (resides in c:\windows\system32\) from windows 7 32bit host to c:\windows\SysWOW64 on your 64bit system (win7 or win8.1) under Administrator account.
Also in the setup->MIDI drivers dialog set "Do not use MIDI mapper" and "Disable MIDI input".

Before run studio.exe you need set WinXP SP3 compatibility mode with Explorer (properties -> compatibility ).

Midosft Studio 4 Windows 7 default midi device

UPDATE:
After some experimentation I have been able to resolve this problem using an initialization file, .ini, that the software uses for all of the settings. So now that it's working I want to be able to refine it to make it easier. This probably won't involve any fore knowledge of the said program but has more to do with the default midi output device. I have tried changing the default in the .ini file mentioned above and it will say that A is the Delta AP Midi driver but the sound output is clearly the MS GS Wavetable crap output. I have also edited the registry and set the Delta AP Midi as the default port as instructed by several online sources but it doesn't work. What I'd really like to know is if anyone knows how it can be totally removed from . A complete removal of it might just do it.

Hello there, i hope you are reading this. I am former Midisoft user. I still keep many projects. I dedicated 1 pc for Studio 4 and installed 32 bit windows 7. I had a trouble like yours, i can't assign or alter default midi synth on the system. But with little search i managed to modify regedit HK_Local stuff. So now the windows media player will use my Roland XV-5050 external tone generator but not midisoft. On your picture there is

A Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
B M audio delta

So mine one only says "midi mapper"

Please listen, when i try everything on the setup pages, i saw "send midi song position" "receive start/stop position" etc and i saw checkbox saying "ignore sysex" So when i alter sysex it asked me which device i would like to use
M audio 1814 or
Roland XV- 5050

So the Midisoft actually sees my devices, isn't it? Other than that i didn't see nothing regarding my devices. I just want to use my sound module as a default device. Windows media player uses it with that trick i mention earlier. And that Putzlowitsch file i downloaded but i am ok with default midi device as i mentioned. Anything you want to say?

Thank you very much

I haven't tried that but the drivers i have loaded are there. They're just not working. I don't think that the software, which is an older 32 bit, recognizes 64 bit drivers.

Hi Lou, I had the exact same problem. Then I remembered that I had made a full backup of the Midisoft 4 directory that contains all the .dlls (dynamic library files) font files and all the rest I needed to run my most fav composition software. All I did was to copy my backup onto my I drive and windows 10 found that the midimap.dll was out of date so I got a new one at a site, on the net, the has just .dlls free for download and boom my Midisoft 4.0 runs great as long as I don't try to change the midi driver in settings when Midisoft is running or at any time for that matter. I would post the link for the site but I am not sure if that is allowed.

Back