MIDI wih Mackie Control Universal

Shadowdog

Sorry I double posted this, but may have had it under the wrong section (recording techniques) since no one was responding. Can I remove it from there??

Anyway.

I am really unfamiliar with MIDI (have NEVER done any thing with it.)

I am putting together my first digital studio. I have an RME Multiface that has MIDI I/O on it. I also want to buy a Mackie Control Universal for use with Cubase. From a connection diagram i saw online it showed that I use MIDI I/O from the Controller to a MIDI interface (which I do not have yet either) that connects USB to my computer. OK, well I was also reading in my Multiface manual that the Mackie Controller can also control the Total Mix program for the sound card by connecting to the MIDI on the soundcard. So what the heck, do I connect to both these things some how? Can someone give me a simple diagram how this MIDI stuff hooks up physically? I also have a Roland R-70 drum machine that has MIDI, if you want toss that in the pciture too. IF I need to buy a MIDI interface, how many In and Outs do I need to get all this stuff talking?

Thanking you in advance.

Here are links to three good articles on midi basics - part one and part two and part three.

The Mackie you are considering is a fancy midi fader box that should act as a midi interface too. The most you will need to invest in is a midi splitter, but only if you are going to run more than two or three midi modules. As far as using the R70 with the system it's as simple as going from the midi out of the RME (or the Mackie) to the midi in of the R70 with the clock in external sync mode.

From what I read about the Mackie Control Universal, it "had" to be connected directly to the interface with the IN and OUT "to prevent data loss." So if i am understanding this right I wouldn't be able to go from this unit to the drum machine? Does the MIDI on my soundcard "act" as the interface to my computer to control Cubase? I guess I thought it was just to control the Total Mix software etc for the RME. I am still confused. I will read these articles too. I have been reading my Dummies book for recording too about the MIDI stuff, but doesn't seem to relate to a peice of gear like the Mackie to just be my hands on for Cubase.

You do need the Mackie to be 'bi-directionally' hooked up --- meaning both in and out of the computer --- that's why I suggested a midi thru box or splitter.

After you've read the articles that I linked post again and we'll be glad to help...

ssscientist said:
You do need the Mackie to be 'bi-directionally' hooked up --- meaning both in and out of the computer --- that's why I suggested a midi thru box or splitter.

I own one, you can hook it up to a midi interface or it has to he hooked directly to the interface in the computer, you cannot hook any other midi equipment up to the Mackie.

Generally midi control surfaces will take up a whole midi port (both in and out) my TMD-1000 is the same way

Back